News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

upgrading 4-8-4 niagara head light

Started by stv9000, October 03, 2012, 12:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stv9000

High all I am new to the forum and I just bought my first Bachmann steam engine 4-8-4 Niagara. The headlight is very dim. I am running it on a DC track for now. I know that there is a dim / bright function with the DCC. Is it normal for this engine to have dim lights with DC? I know it uses an led light source and 2 optic rods. I personally do not care for this system. Could I change this to 2 1.5v or 3v bulbs in place of the clear rods?

jonathan

STV,

Welcome!

In all the Bachmann Steamers I own (except the EM-1), the bulbs were dim.  As you probably surmised, by your post, the plastic doohickeys between the bulb and front of the headlight are the culprit.  If you run your loco without the shell, you'll find LED is pretty bright already.

I remedy this by taking the bulb/LED out of the frame, adding some wire, and moving it directly inside the headlight.  The drawback being wires now connecting your shell and the loco frame.  However, I find the added brightness of the light to be worth the inconvenience.  

I don't own a Niagara, so I can't speak to your specific locomotive.  I have performed this surgery in Consolidations, Mountains, and a couple other non-Bachmann types.

Just a thought.  Hopefully, someone with a Niagara can present a better solution.

Regards,

Jonathan

union pacific 844

i have a niagara  4-8-4 i took bachmanns led out and put a 3mm led in and the link is what i got my 3mm led at and it is super bright
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280609521591?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

richg

The LED resistor in the Bachmann locos is at least 2K in my experiences so far. Usually, two resistors in series. I did some measurements.
The SMD resistors are not easy to parallel unless you have done SMD soldering.
A 1K resistor allows about 9 MA current through a 20 MA max LED. A 2K resistor, about 5 MA current.
Some people use as low as 510 ohms for about 15MA, LED current.
New super bright LED's require more than 1K resistance. No idea if Bachmann uses super bright LED's yet.
Bachmann is kind of secretive and conservative on their loco electronics.

Rich

Doneldon

stv-

The light tubes (the clear plastic fratistat) are just fine when they are in exactly the right position. The key word in thay sentence is
"exactly." They can easily get installed imperfectly or shift while in transit so they don't workso well. You can try inspecting and
adjusting your light pipe but you'll probably be more satisfied with playing with the LED or resistors. By the way, you can cut one of
the resistors off of the PC board and install a jumper in its place. Or, cut both leads to the LED and use new supply wires with a
resistor of your choice.
                                     -- D

stv9000

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have several options to look into now.