Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Questions on the 4-4-0

Started by shayman, August 04, 2007, 08:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shayman

:D :D
  Hey Bachman
Do you know the answers or have a good guess.
  1 The length of the new 4-4-0?
  2 The radius is 18 inches correct?

Thanks
  Shayman
Logging up Deep Creek

the Bach-man

Dear Shayman,
i aven't had one in hand yet, so I don't have the length. It should negotiate 18" radius, one of the reasons we chose this prototype.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

shayman

Hi Bach-man
Here is a picture showing the 4-4-0 beside a 2-8-0. By the picture the 4-4-0 appears to be about 9 1/2 inches.

Happy railroading
shayman
Logging up Deep Creek

Royce Wilson

Bachmann
          any news on the roadnames for the 4-4-0?
                                                        Royce ::)

the Bach-man

Dear Royce,
Yes. They're all UDRR (Undec RR), or, more accurately, painted, unlettered in a variety of striping styles. Simply add the road name of your choice to the loco whose appearance appeals to you the most.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Dusten Barefoot

Mr B.
Do you know of any styles of 4-4-0 you can buy, I am not talking about the wood cab/oil head lamp or steel cab/electric head lamp, I am taling about stacks, and loads for the tender. Will the engine have different stack styles?Hunter, Balloon, Dimond? And the load , will there be a wood load and oil?
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

japasha

There was a style of modeling some 30 years ago that centered around little prototype engines that had been greatly customized by their fantasy railroad owners. The new 4-4-0 is one of those nice little engines that  fits the starting point for one of those models.

While Lee and the staff are saying there is not a prototype for this little guy, it is close to the size of the initial 4-4-0s used in the great narrow gauge expansion of the 1870s. The Texas and St Louis had a number of 4-4-0s this size. when the line was standard gauged, many went to small carriers second hand. The ywere good for 5,000 pounds of tractive force, about seven loaded cars in most cases. That makes them perfect for small On30 layouts. You might even want to make a four wheel tender for the locomotive.

Many more similar locomotives went to South America, one is still sitting in the jumgle in Brazil. This little gem is an opportunity for any of us in On30 to be creative.  I think Lee and the staff should have a contest at each place the Bachmann will appear to have the customers show off their versions.

Mister Lee

I don't know about Diamond or balloon stacks except for what I've read in the official Bachmann press release. I'm sure that somebody is likely to make an oil bunker for the 4-4-0's tender, either Bachmann or some after-market manufacturer.

Some of those 4-4-0s lasted a very long time. Gerald Best's Central American Holiday (Pacific Coast Chapter, R&LHS, 1960) (Long out of print)  showed a former Santa Cruz machine still at work in El Salvador in the late 1950's.