Best transformer for long passenger trains

Started by coolwaldo, September 27, 2012, 05:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolwaldo

I will be running large passenger trains. Williams, Lionel, & MTH. What brand transformer would be the best for conventional  power?
Be happy. Play with your trains.

Cobrabob8

I use an MTH Z-4000 and have had no problems running my Williams Santa Fe F3 A-B-A's and 7 illuminated MTH Santa Fe streamliners. And it looks AWESOME!!! ;D
Cobrabob
"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."

coolwaldo

Be happy. Play with your trains.

r0gruth

The Lionel ZW in its various forms also work well.

The current draw by the locos,all of the passenger car lights and all other electric accesories need to be considered.

The Lionel and MTH transformers are the only ones with which I have experience.There are probably others that also will do the job.
Roger

phillyreading

I use the MTH Z-1000 with my Santa Fe passenger set and it works great with the sound system in the ABA F-7's. There are six passenger cars with lights and two powered A units, so 100 watts is plenty of power for one train.
The MTH Z-1000 starts at a lower voltage than the Lionel ZW, and I can control my passenger set better with the Z-1000.

With the freight trains I have by Williams I use a post-war 275 watt ZW, usually two powered SD-45's with about 15 to 20 freight cars. Sometimes I add the B unit NYC shark that I installed a True Blast 2 diesel horn in.

Lee F.

DominicMazoch

You may consider changing the lights in locos and cars to LED to reduce power requirements.  Also, they do run cooler!

M1FredQ

Where is a place you can buy LED lights to swap out the ones from our Bachmann and other

Loco's and passenger cars. I would love to do it!!!!!.

we changed our lighing in the boys fish tanks to LED and it is really cool looking and a lot cheaper on my electric bill!!

My wife bought LED's for our Christmas tree and decorations around the house and there was a

noticeable difference in the electric bill from the year before

DominicMazoch

TrainmanGene

I use a MTH Z-4000 with no problem running 2 passenger trains which replaced my ageing ZW. I wonder if the Z4k will last the 50 plus years of the ZW? I'm using a KW for layout lighting to prevent overloading the Z-4000. Note if you use a Z-4000 remote the receiver will tax your voltage. When you buy a Transformer it's best to think ahead and buy the biggest available to allow for future expansion. Most operators will buy a 100 watt and end up upgrading soon after.
Sueme Valley System

phillyreading

I have two Z-1000's, was considering the Z-4000 but got sticker shock at the price. Bought both Z-1000's for a total of 165.00. The Z-4000 is closer to $350.00 even on Choo Choo auctions.
I go to train shows and buy some stuff a few dollars less than what most hobby shops want. Got a great deal on the Z-750 brick, $15.00(no speed controller), use it to power my TIU.

I use smaller transformers for lighting like the 40 to 70 watt single transformers.
Using an A.F. 8b transformer for switch power with Gargraves switches.

Lee F.

r0gruth

Roger