News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

decouple

Started by atan5543, September 30, 2012, 05:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atan5543

I purchased the decouple magnets. I need advise as to how to install and use them. I have not succeeded  doing so myself.
I am a On30 user. Magnets are for this scale use.

Anyone have a suggestion in their use? Any other suggestions as to uncouple the cars?

railtwister

Which magnets, Bachmann or Kadee? The larger magnets (about 1.5" x 2") are intended for mounting below the track, so the best mounting method will depend a lot on the type of track and roadbed you are using. I have seen these mounted under the molded plastic roadbed of EZ-track or Kato Unitrack, as well as embedded in the more traditional types of roadbed. You might want to try making a test track to experiment with the best mounting position, just be sure to make it long enough so that you can test coupling & uncoupling. Probably 2-3' would be good.  The slickest trick I have seen is mounting the large magnets on a hinged panel just below the tracks, so that most of the time it is dropped down away from the track, and is only raised when needed to uncouple. This helps prevent surprise uncoupling due to accidental slack between the cars.

Bill in FtL

Steve Magee

As well as magnets, Kadees can be uncoupled (not decoupled) using a skewer or kebab stick. This way you can uncouple anywhere on the layout you like, and not be dependant upon magnet positions. Insert kebab stick between couplers, and twirl - voila.

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

atan5543

I stand corrected thank you. Question pertained to 'uncoupling Bachmann cars.
Thank you for your response. I will try it. Actually both responses are worth a try.
Al T   Bow, NH