Is Anyone Using Insulated Rail Joiners To Isolate Track Sections On Their Layout

Started by oneancientone, January 17, 2014, 05:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneancientone

Hello to all! I'm in the process of constructing a Sodor Island layout with my grandson. I was thinking of going DCC (EZ Command), but after reading some posts here and on other forums re: (1) the need to "do it yourself" in modifying the locomotives (I hate soldering; I'm no good at it!); and (2) reported troubles with the shorter wheelbase locomotives performing properly, I'm not so sure about going that route (no pun intended.) Now, I'm thinking about going "old school," i.e., dividing the layout into several insulated (from each other) sections,  with each section accessible to multiple operators, via an "A-B" or "A-B-C" type switch panel (one operator per section, at any given time.)

My questions: Is anybody on this  forum using this kind of wiring system? If so, what brand of insulated rail joiners and A-B switch panels (or similar devices) are being used? I know that Atlas used to have all of this stuff; maybe they still do. I've been searching the Bachmann on-line store, but I can't seem to locate these items (I have found quite a few insulated rail joiner resources, but if Bachmann makes them, then I'd rather use Bachmann's.)

Thanks for any assistance!

oneancientone

shining time

well to answer your question i only use the insulated joiners for where i have switches to other loops connect so the engines can run in different directions. as far as the switch controls atlas has some
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

jward

to answer your questions.....

yes, I have my layout set up for block control even though I run dcc. if you ever decide to go to dcc you won't have to rewire your layout.

any insulating (plastic) rail joiners will work as long as they are the same size as your rail. for example, ez track uses code 100 rail, so you'd use code 100 rail joiners with it.

Bachmann does not make the components for a block control system, but atlas does. they also have a book on layout wiring using their components, but you can use any similar electric switches to do the same thing.

the atlas selector is a set of 4 a-b switches in one module, with each switch having a center-off position. it will allow you to control 4 sections of track from either of 2 power packs. you can gang together as many as needed for your control panel.
http://shop.atlasrr.com/p-54-selector.aspx
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

oneancientone

Again...thanks so much for the very helpful info. And what do you know...over the weekend I ordered the latest Atlas wiring book and a number of Atlas a-b switches...time to "get wired!"

oneancientone