News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann customer Service

Started by jpl2817, October 11, 2012, 06:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpl2817

Hello all, just want you to know that I received a train Oct 3. the lumberjack.  The controller was bad so I have not been able to run the train.
Today is the 11th.  I submitted the necessary doc's to Bachmann on Friday 5th, but spelled bachmann wrong- bachman.

So they did not receive the email. I resent using the correct name Sunday.  I still have no controller. I did however order a brand new G scale controller from Ebay for $ 6.95 plus $ 6.95 shipping, and received today the 11th.

The davenport works fine and reminds me of the 80's and my HO :)

I am however not satisfied with Bachmann due to a defective controller and slow shipping.

So be careful who and what you buy.  This is my first Bachmann and my last.

Chuck N

How did you submit your request: postal mail, email, phone, website?  There is a big difference in the response with your method of communication.  Most of us have found that calling and talking to someone is much better.

Chuck

jpl2817

I submitted it email.  I spent 2 days trying to talk with a real person not just voicemail.
I finally spoke with jenny and she told me exactly what the website tells you.

So , perhaps they are over worked, too busy, or just don't care.  I don't know.  Maybe they have so much business??

Loco Bill Canelos

I really don't know what you expect!  You email them on a Sunday non business day and expect to have a replacement in three days with Monday being Columbus day.  I don't know where you live, but that kind of expectation is unrealistic at best.  They need to precess your request perhaps one of many, find the replacement in inventory, send it to shipping, pack and prepare your item for shipment, then get it to the shipper who they have no control over and do it all in three days.  Very unrealistic!  From my experience they do care, but you have to be realistic in your expectations.  They never advertized this locomotive as having a speaker or sound included. the set is so low cost it can be purchase for the cost of the locomotive alone.  I do not feel you would ever be able to get a nice set like that from another manufacturer at the low price you paid for your set. 

I have seen your other posts, and it seems you have very high expectations, you want a speaker and a sound card, and you complain about the bad controller.  Yardmaster said they would give you a new one, but you are so impatient, you won't allow a reasonable time for them to do it. 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

jpl2817

I appreciate your candor with this problem I am having.  I will try to work on my patience so as not to upset any one ever again.

It's Friday and still no controller,  however I did receive a controller from E bay. 

I would just expect Customer Service to expedite this problem due to its a brand new set just opened. 

They have one operator or few due to I called 3 times in one day and kept getting the same young woman who kept
explaining that she was new. Bless her heart.

The sound is at the moment not a huge deal breaker. Although the unit is capable, it should have been included for a price adjustment.

Have a great day!

armorsmith

JPL,

Would like to make a couple of observations on this subject of Customer Service.  Considering that there are thousands of Bachmann products, with exponentially more customers  purchasing them, one customer issue is not their only issue.  Bachmann's customer response can be a bit slow at times, but their service on average is not really any different than the other manufacturers in the hobby,

I agree with Bill that your expectations relative to the time line are quite unrealistic.  The best normal turnaround time on average is somewhere around 10 business days on a simple warranty part replacement, and usually requires you to return the defective part, and you pay for shipping.

Let me tell you about my experience with another well known manufacturer and see if you feel the same.  I purchased one used locomotive from a fellow club member, and a 'New Old Stock' set from a vendor at a show.  Both locomotives required some service.  I contacted the vendor, made the arrangements, and sent the two locomotives off.  $70.00 for the repairs and about $30.00 for the shipping.  Several weeks later I called for a status report (shortly after I was told they would ship back), and was informed they were next on the service table (and the check is in the mail).  It took another approximately two weeks before I received the locomotives back.  The were shipped back in different packaging than I shipped them in, and with insufficient packing material.  Both had received shipping damage that was not on the locos when shipped to the manufacturer.  My solution was to repair the damage myself, rather than spend more money for them to do who knows how much more damage..

Bachmann's service is average for the industry.  Not great and not bad, just average.  Their warranty on their products is, in my opinion, above average.  Where else can you purchase a locomotive, run it til it drops, send a check in a nominal amount and receive back a running locomotive.  Not too many.

I understand your frustration with not being able to operate a new piece of equipment, but understand that all manufacturers have a certain amount of 'bad product' slip through their QA process.  Another question comes to mind - Why  didn't you return it to the location you purchased it from?  I am sure they would have honored the warranty and provided another complete set.  Have some patience, relax and enjoy your train.  My $750.00 Bachmann K27 sat on the mantle piece for almost 4 months before I found a club where I could run it.

Happy railroading!!

Bob C.

Loco Bill Canelos

JPL,   Bachmann has never made sound units for the Davenport.   There is no way they could include it for an "adjustment" since they never made one. 

The set costs $186.99 at Trainworld and is a good buy with a great running locomotive.   Don't know where you bought it, but to expect quality sound at a low set price like that is totally unrealistic.

I still don't understand why you have not taken your set back to the store for an exchange.  Perhaps you could let us know.  You could still take it back, so why not do it and get it over with. Maybe you bought it used on Ebay in which case Bachmann has no obligation to you at all. 

jpl2817

hello again.

the train was purchased from Wholesaletrains.com

They stated that there are no refunds and that all warranty claims must be handled through Bachmann.

The set cost $142 plus $25 shipping. And it's worth it I know it was a good deal.

I suppose the main beef I had was that the unit was not in workable condition when I received it.

But it is working now. Have a nice little layout on the ceiling with a round track, looks nice and will work on
the sound and headlight next month.

Loco Bill Canelos

Glad you are finally happy, and hope you continue to enjoy your set.

jpl2817

So I received the Bachmann controller and transformer today.   For some reason the train goes slow.  And some times if I turn the engine off and turn it back on it wont move unless I give it a push.

All tracks are connected and screwed down.    :P :P