News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which way?

Started by SteamGene, August 06, 2007, 08:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

You're the engineer on the mine turn.  You leave the yard with a string of empty hoppers and service several mine tipples, returning with loaded hoppers.  There is a turntable at the yard, but no way to turn the loco durning the run.  So what should you do? 
Push the empties, running tender first, and return pilot first?
Pull the empties, running tender first, do a run around, and return pilot first?
Do either of the above, but run pilot first and return tender first? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Guilford Guy

Pull the empties running loco first and return tender first? That's just my view. I'd rather be pulling everything than making a sandwich of myself as well as I'd rather be pulling cars on crummy track work than shoving them.
Alex

Atlantic Central

Gene,

Assuming that most of the switching moves are facing point moves, I would run out pulling the empties pilot first, do my switching with the good visablity of looking forward, then return pulling my train running tender first.

This very question is why ALCO RS2's and EMD GP7's quickly replaced steam locos for this work. It is also why many steam switchers had clear vision tenders of one sort or another. Many such operations would have swithers at the mine asigned to do the shifting, while the road loco just pulled the empties into a small yard and then left with a string of loads.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Sheldon,
I know about big tipples having their dedicated switcher.  But I can't really justify a switcher, even to service two small tipples, I don't think.   Though I might, just to use my switchers!   In any event, as you well know, there is no place to turn the mine turn loco.  It has to go pilot first one way and tender first the other - very prototypical, of course. 
I've added another tipple to your design and may add a dump truck tipple as well - just to add operations to the layout. 
The LHS has a Walthers ice platform they want me to buy.   Since I'm going to have a packing plant - which justifies stock cars and reefers, an icing platform would be good. The problem is where to put it!  Maybe I can find a place east of Leesboro, near the South River, which would be a good source of water for ice making.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"