News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Richmond 4-4-0

Started by baldyone, October 15, 2012, 12:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldyone

I have bought 2 of the Richmond 4-4-0 from my local Model Train shop nice looking locos, but the two from wheels on both of these locos derail on 18 degree and 22 degree bends.
Any ideas .

Doneldon

baldy-

These locos should be able to negotiate your 18" and 22" curves without problems. I suggest starting by checking to
make sure the wheels on your pilot trucks are in gauge, the trucks move easily and the wheels rotate freely within
the trucks. You might also try adding a little weight to your pikot trucks but do the other checks first.
                                                                                                                                                      -- D

richg

Are there any kinks in the track work.
The same spots?

Rich

rbryce1

I have (2) 4-4-0 engines and they both navigate 15" R curves with out any problems.

richg

Is there a small piece of foam to keep the truck rigid during shipment?
A few have found that as they just took the loco out of the box and put it on the track without checking carefully.

Rich

baldyone

Hi people, thanks for your replies.

1st there is no kinks in any of the corners that i can see, I have 2-6-0's and 4-6-2's that negotiate that corners with no derailing.

2nd I will check the gauge is right and see how that goes and get back to you.

3rd I remove the foam but the front trucks still look like they are pushing the front up to high and it looks like it is heavy in the back of the loco.

Thanks for your help.

ebtnut

Check to see if the pilot truck support bracket is bent or mal-formed.  Also check to see if the shouldered screw that holds the truck to the bracket is properly set. 

baldyone

Hi I removed the truck and checked the gauge and that was fine, but I will remove it and see if the bar is bent, nice looking loco, the grandson will be pleased when he comes over for the Christmas holidays and finds he has new trains to use.

I may have to fine some small weights and see if that helps, I will post a video on youtube to show what it does.

OK thanks all.