Bachmann 2-4-2 #3 UP Anyone familiar???

Started by Colormepearl, October 16, 2012, 10:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colormepearl

Hello. I have been in G scale for 25 years, and done quite a bit of improvising and custom work. I recently picked up a cute little Bachmann 2-4-2 Union Pacific #3 steam locomotive. (have not received it as yet). I have not been able to find anything on the internet in regard to this engine, other than one article in Garden Magazine that says that they are lucky to pull one car, downhill, as far as power. Also, no mention of when they were made or when they were discontinued. I very rarely even see them on ebay. I plan to install an Aristocraft Porter motor and drive, with good sound. Any informaion on these engines, even other road names such as the Parire Flyer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

richg

In case you are not aware of it. There is a Large Scale forum here. Many times the Admin people move the thread if it is in the wrong forum.

Rich

Doneldon

Pearl-

I purchased one of these on ebay a few years ago. I gave it a quick test upon receipt and it seemed to be fine. Well, it wasn't. It could pull itself but that was all. It turned out that the gears were stripped so any load beyond itself was hopeless. I got a new drive (motor and gears) and it was just fine. It wasn't heavy duty or anything, but it easily pulled my three Bachmann passenger cars on level track. I don't know how much more it could have pulled, if anything. I subsequently went out of the large scale part of the hobby and sold the loco. The buyer was happy with the loco so it must have worked satisfactorially for him, too.

Good luch with your remotoring. I predict success.

- D