News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Web Site Information

Started by rbryce1, October 16, 2012, 04:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbryce1

I notice that none of the product items on the Bachmann web site include the minimum recommended track radius, while that information is available for much of the product line in the catalogs.  If I am looking at an item on line, I have to either open my catalog (assuming I am at home) or load a version of the catalog to find this information. 

Is it possible to have Bachmann's web staff add the minimum recommended track radius for their products to the web pages as well.

Doneldon

rb-

I doubt if this information will be posted, despite how happy most of us would be to see it. The problem is that there is too much variation
from unit to unit. All of us can tell stories of putting two models of the same locomotive around a particular curve with one making it and
the other one not. Bachmann would have to give extremely conservative estimates of minimum radius to make sure that no locomotives
which reach the market will fail to negotiate the identified minimum curve. That means that locomotives with 98% success at, say, 18"
curves would have to be listed at 22" or maybe more. Since the overwhelming majority of layouts have at least some tight curves, there
would be few buyers for that loco, even though it would work for most modelers.
                                                                                                                         -- D

rbryce1

-- D,

They already do it in the catalog.  I'm sure if they say they recommend an 18" track, it has been successfully tested on an 18" track.  If they recommend 22" and you decide to run it on an 18" track, your risk.  Again, this information is already available in their catalog, just not on line.  I'm only asking them to also publish it on line as well.

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

rb-

Lots more people will have access on line than in a catalog. Once they've gone public in the
catalog it's hard to think of a reason not to put it online, too. Maybe they will.

-- D

Nathan

You can DOWNLOAD a version of the catalog and use it.

richg

Quote from: Nathan on October 18, 2012, 09:50:22 AM
You can DOWNLOAD a version of the catalog and use it.

And open another window on the PC or tablet along with the catalog. Not a big deal. Our PC's are powerful devices if we take time and learn what they can do.

Rich

rbryce1

Your right, it's probably easier for all of us to take the time to download a 25 megabite catalog, then find the item in the downloaded catalog for the same item we are looking at in the on-line products file just to find 3 words (recommended ??" curve) instead of asking them to just add the same words to the on-line product file that they all ready have in the catalog file.

I guess I see the logic I that!

Jerrys HO

Why fix what has not been broken for years. You can buy a catalog which is cheap and save two minutes firing up the old PC.
I like having the catalogs around for future reference. After the year is up most things drop from the website.
Jerry

rbryce1

I don't think that anywhere in my life I've seen a forum with as many people with negative attitudes about simple suggestions.   WHY?  Making responses with alternative methods is always good and appreciated, but to put down a suggestion because you don't think it is necessary is different.

This post was a polite suggestion to Bachmann on a way they could make a small improvement to their web site.  Nothing more.  It is not a criticism of their site or the way they do things, only a suggestion for an improvement.  Everything that improves something starts as a suggestion.

It is not a big deal to down load the catalog.  I have already done that long ago and saved it as a PDF file for quick review.  I also own the catalog in paperback form.

But, I am not always at home.  Many times I go to either their web site or a site selling their products, and I find their web information is very lacking on details, which their catalog is somewhat better.   Many of these times I am at work on a break, or on my lunch hour, where I cannot download files like these.  A small simple suggestion was made to them on a way to improve their customer service, and some people on the forum take it as a challenge to find all the ways not to do it.  These guys should be in Congress, or maybe they were!

Is not having this information on the web site going to end the world, no.  Will it stop people from buying Bachmann products if this information takes some time to research when another companies information is readily available in one location, maybe (That is called good marketing).  Can it result in them selling more product, yes.  Will it result in better customer service on their behalf, Absolutely.  If I would like to buy something, and there is more than one company making it, and I am not at home all the time like many others seem to be to use their computer at will for researching it, and I cannot find needed information on their product, but I do find it on a competitor's product, I will most likely buy the competitor's product.

Jerrys HO

Negative attitude? NO. simply stating why catalogs are important to me as you state why it is important to you to have this addition put in the on line catalog.
This has and will be one of the best forums I visit. Suggestions are always welcome but sometimes people don't like the opinions of other's or read more into them than what was written.As they say opinions are like as#@o!%#, everyone has one. ;D
Sorry if you were offended by my opinion of catalogs. :'(

Jerry

rbryce1

Not offended, just frustrated that people cannot say anything without it being run down or feel that because it may not apply to them it should not apply to anyone else.

jward

i personally thought your idea is a good one. it would be nice to take it a step further and do like some german manufacturers do, and also specify the era of the trains as well. newbies may not know what ran with what during which period of time.

i believe the german companies use about 5 different eras to differentiate their trains. for usa trains, they could be marked as:

1. pre civil war.
2. 1800s
3. pre ww2
4 transition era (1940-1960)
5. diesel era (1960-1990)
6. modern era post 1990
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

beampaul7

Good ideas Bryce and J Ward.  There is never too much information. 

Paul G

Searsport

"Will it stop people from buying Bachmann products if this information takes some time to research when another companies information is readily available in one location, maybe (That is called good marketing)."

I think your suggestion is helpful.  I also think that the product info on competitor websites is much more comprehensive, e.g. Atlas, especially their past products lists, and often has bigger product photos e.g. Athearn.  I would have thought Bachmann would naturally want their website to outshine their competitors.

Bachmann do, of course, have this forum, in which they do lead their competitors.

Bill.