News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

slipping

Started by maonea, October 19, 2012, 04:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maonea

i am new to model trains, my train of only two years has started to slip.  It will no longer pull more than 2 cars around my flat track.  It slips in the same spots each time.  I have cleaned the track, slightly sanded the spots and after a few laps it starts slipping agian.  What do i try next?

rbryce1

maonea

an 0-6-0 steamer.  I have a coal tender and 3 cars.  It will only pull the tender and 2 cars at this time.  I just recleaned the track, all car trucks and engine wheels and still will only pull the 2 cars.

Stephen D. Richards

You say it slips in the same spots?  Are these areas near switches in the track?  If so I would first check the metal pieces below the couplers that resemble air hoses.  They may be catching on the frogs or such.  I that doesn't help let us know.  Stephen

richg

Sounds like the loco use to pull more cars.
Check all the tender and car wheels. Do they roll easily?
Are the glad hands on the couplers dragging?
Any oil film on the loco drivers?
Did you clean the track and drivers with Q tips and alcohol?

Rich

NarrowMinded

try pushing each car around the track by it self to see if it has a dragging issue.

Have you taken your loco apart? and maybe left a wieght out of the inside of it?

NM-Jeff

Doneldon

ma 1-

For future reference: Never sand your rails. Even the finest sandpaper will leave microscopic
scratches which will catch dirt in the future and lead to operational problems.

-- D