News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Locomotives

Started by wamcm, August 06, 2007, 12:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wamcm

Hi Guys,

I have been an HO modeler for over fifty years, the last twenty-five modeling the Ma & Pa.  I have a 12' x 40' NCE powered layout in my finished attic.  Because of their dependibility, I have essentially standardized on Bachmann locos (2-8-0, 4-6-0 and 4-4-0), religating my prototypically correct brass locos to the display case.  I have always been interested in On30, but certainly didn't consider giving up the HO Ma & Pa.  Now the James River Division (NMRA) is exploring the establishment of a divison modular group incluing On30.  I am considering this in addition to the Ma & Pa as its predecessor roads were three foot narrow gauge till just prior to consolidation into the Ma & Pa in 1901.

Having said all of that, I need to select a Bachmann locomotive for my module (s).  I have seen the Forney and it looks and sounds great.  While the predcessor roads didn't have any Forneys, one did have a Mason-Bogie which is visually similar to the Forney but mechanically different.  So that is a possibility. 

However, as I really like Consolidations (the Ma & Pa has seven) that is likely my first choice.  I haven't read a full review of this model so I ask for your opinions on it.  Also, since I must have sound, has any one any knowledge of the Bachmann 2-8-0 with Soundtraxx factory installed sound as advertized by Tony's?  On the other hand is the modeler installation of a Tsunami in the tender an easily doable thing? I have installed decoders in some of the brass locos and a couple of the Bachmann HO Consolidations, but I am getting pretty old and become all thumbs at times.

While the Mogul is a very nice looking loco, I believe that technologically, it is not up with the Consolidation.  Does it have a DCC eight pin plug?

I have asked several questions which may sound like I am looking for confirmation that the Consolidation is the way to go.  I will appreciate any and all comments and recommendations  Thanks,

Bill.

James Thomas

I have the 2-8-0 with factory Soundtraxx installed -- it is terrific both in running and sound.  If you want one, I suggest you get one soon -- once they're gone, I don't think Soundtraxx will be doing them anymore (hence, no more full Tsunami sound decoders installed.)

ksivils

I have one that I installed a Tsunami decoder in.  It comes with a standard NMRA plug.  If you can solder up the speaker leads, your fine!

Great model.  Heavy.  Pulls a lot.

C.P.R.R. Manager

Bachmann's 2-8-0 is an excellent intro to On30, and I did buy one with the sound pre-installed.  Very nice.  One evening the kids and I hooked up every freight and passenger car we had to it, and it pulled them on level track with no problem.  It's a very impressive bit of scale engineering.

There is a good online article on how to install sound in the 2-8-0 yourself, which you might find interesting.  Harold's site has lots of useful info.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/of_sound/

shayman

I have one that I put the Tsunami in myself and I am not that handy. So if you have a good hobby shop or a fellow modeler that you could get with their should be no problem. When you start you will most likely have to have more.

Logging up Deep Creek

ollie

I was impressed my thr first Con (second ordered and two more planned!) enough to start a web page around it. It has been eveloping more in to an actual railroad....
Though I am not planning on any sound yet as I suspect all these new electronic will be improved and cheaper in a future, besides I need to deside on what or if I am going to use DCC. But here is a link to the site with my personal view of the Con.

http://www.olaviahokas.com/riofanguso

kendoitall

Quote from: wamcm on August 06, 2007, 12:18:23 PM
I need to select a Bachmann locomotive for my module (s).  I have seen the Forney and it looks and sounds great.  While the predcessor roads didn't have any Forneys, one did have a Mason-Bogie which is visually similar to the Forney but mechanically different.  So that is a possibility. 

However, as I really like Consolidations (the Ma & Pa has seven) that is likely my first choice.  I haven't read a full review of this model so I ask for your opinions on it.  Also, since I must have sound, has any one any knowledge of the Bachmann 2-8-0 with Soundtraxx factory installed sound as advertized by Tony's?  On the other hand is the modeler installation of a Tsunami in the tender an easily doable thing? I have installed decoders in some of the brass locos and a couple of the Bachmann HO Consolidations, but I am getting pretty old and become all thumbs at times.

I have two of the 2-8-0 with the Tsunami sound decoder. So far, they are my favorite locomotives. The sound is awesome and the speed levels are perfect, right out of the box. Tony's Trains has them on sale still at under $200:
http://tonystrains.com/locomotive/bachmann.htm
For a review of the 2-8-0, go to:
http://tonystrains.com/tonystips/2006/081906.htm
That would be my choice right now.

Ken
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

wamcm

Hi Guys,

My thanks all who responded to my query on On30 locos.  You confirmed my thoughts that I wanted a 2-8-0.  I ordered one with factory sound from Tony's and look forward to receiving it and trying it out.  I will have to set-up a test track as there is very little trackage on my HO Ma & Pa with adequate clearenes.  Thanks again,

Bill