How do you safely remove the domes from the Baldwin Modern 4-4-0 boiler, please?

Started by Searsport, October 19, 2012, 06:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

I have asked this before, but not got an answer, except for a chearful "if you wreck the boiler you can buy a replacement"!  Surely you can tell us, Mr B, or why do you put an alternative set of domes in with the Baldwin?

TIA,
Bill.

Doneldon

Bill-

I think they pull straight off, but not easily.

-- D

uscgtanker

It's a matter if the come off or do you have to cut them off. If you have to cut them off use a model hack saw. and cut a little large and file the dome down. then glue the new ones on and use putty to make them look nice.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Searsport on October 19, 2012, 06:01:51 PM
I have asked this before, but not got an answer, except for a chearful "if you wreck the boiler you can buy a replacement"!  Surely you can tell us, Mr B, or why do you put an alternative set of domes in with the Baldwin?

TIA,
Bill.

I agree. If the domes can't be removed easily by Joe Average Hobbyist, why include a replacement set?

jonathan

Searsport,

Have you removed the boiler and looked underneath the domes?

I don't own a 4-4-0 Modern.  However, looking at the diagram, there appear to be screws which hold on the domes.  That's a guess as the diagrams are a bit cryptic as usual.  But logic dictates that the manufacturer would provide you with a way to replace the domes, if extra domes were included.

Logic, logic, logic... The universe is replete with logic... (sic)

Regards,

Jonathan

Pops

Wish we could get an official answer.  I don't want to break this by trying different things that may or may not work.

??? :o ???

ebtnut

I'm not sure I see any screws holding the domes.  The diagrams show two round "sub-domes" on the top of the boiler, with a hole in the middle.  That indicates to me that maybe if you remove the boiler from the chassis, you might simply be able to insert a rod from inside and tap the domes off, and replace them.  I think I'd do that ahead of simply trying to pry them off.  If there are in fact screws inside, that also answers the problem.

Len

I have to agree with Jonathan. I printed the diagram, and by laying a ruler along the lenth of the two screws shown below the boiler I found they line up perfectly with the holes in the sub-domes. It should just be a matter of removing the boiler to get at the screws, remove them to remove the factory installed domes, then reverse the process to install the other domes.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ebtnut

I didn't see any screws shown on the Modern 4-4-0 diagram, though I do see them on the Richmond 4-4-0.  It may well be the same arrangment, however.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Pops on October 22, 2012, 02:00:28 PM
Wish we could get an official answer.  I don't want to break this by trying different things that may or may not work.

??? :o ???

I agree.

Tom M.

If you can wait until next week for an answer, I'll have one for you.  I'm installing a Seuthe smoke unit in one for a customer and will have to completely tear down the loco to do.

Regards,

Tom

Len

Quote from: ebtnut on October 23, 2012, 12:53:43 PM
I didn't see any screws shown on the Modern 4-4-0 diagram, though I do see them on the Richmond 4-4-0.  It may well be the same arrangment, however.

Oops! My bad...For some reason I had 4-6-0 on the brain when I looked at the diagram, not 4-4-0. The 4-4-0 diagram makes it look like the dome just slides on/off over the sub-dome molded into the body.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jonathan

OK,

Having blown up the diagrams of both the Richmond and 4-4-0 Modern...

If you look towards the middle of the page on both diagrams, you will see two screws: parts #10119 and #10489.  They seem to serve no rhyme nor reason, other than fitting nicely into the holes shown on the sub-domes.  I agree the outer domes appear to slide over the top of the sub-domes.

Wish I had one of these to photograph, and to tinker with.  "A bird in the hand..."

Before I ever run a new locomotive, I disassemble the loco and tender shells from the frames... to look for mechanical issues, and to see just how the locomotive is put together.  That gives an idea of what might be required if modifications will be needed, if trying to match a prototype. 

At some point, the shell will have to come off to know the right answer.  Tom is going to do it next week.  I look forward to a mystery solved.

Regards,

Jonathan

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Tom M. on October 23, 2012, 04:17:12 PM
If you can wait until next week for an answer, I'll have one for you.  I'm installing a Seuthe smoke unit in one for a customer and will have to completely tear down the loco to do.

Regards,

Tom

Thanks! I'm sure I won't be the only one looking forward to your report.  :)

Tom M.

Folks,

I have not forgotten about this.  Hurricane Sandy is causing me to put in a lot of overtime at work dealing with the closure of our lower Manhattan office due to flood damage.  I now hope to tear down the 4-4-0 some time this coming weekend.

Tom