News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

rightin ain't impowtant

Started by SteamGene, August 06, 2007, 03:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

The old Lee Hall train depot is about to be moved to a "safer" location away from the tracks.  Here's what the local paper wrote:

"The Lee Hall depot was built in 1886 to connect coal mines in West Virginia with East Coast ports."

Neat, eh?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

scottychaos

Thats one talented depot!  ;D

yeah, that kind of thing happens all the time..the media is woefully ignorant about railroads..

I have even seen it in books..I have one of those Arcadia "Images of Amercia" books about "The Valley", being Waverly, NY, Sayre PA and Athens PA.
the Lehigh Valley had a huge yard and shop complex in sayre..
nearly every photo in the book taken anywhere in the Sayre yard/shop complex says "here we see a train at the Sayre depot"...
by "depot" they mean "anywhere in the Sayre yard complex, even if its 3 miles away from the actual Sayre passenger station"  "depot" being synonymous with "yard" apparently.. 

Here in Rochester, CSX tracks up by Kodak are always referred to as "The B&O tracks"..hasnt been the B&O in 35 years!

Scot

pdlethbridge

Scot, do you know where the B&O depot is in Rochester?

Guilford Guy

Wow, impressive station eh!
Must be pretty long to connect all those coal mines. Many miles of station! A Railways within a Railway Building!  :o :o :o  ::)
Alex

Craig

QuoteI have even seen it in books..I have one of those Arcadia "Images of Amercia" books about "The Valley", being Waverly, NY, Sayre PA and Athens PA.
the Lehigh Valley had a huge yard and shop complex in sayre..
nearly every photo in the book taken anywhere in the Sayre yard/shop complex says "here we see a train at the Sayre depot"...
by "depot" they mean "anywhere in the Sayre yard complex, even if its 3 miles away from the actual Sayre passenger station"  "depot" being synonymous with "yard" apparently.. 

You mean this? I was just there.

scottychaos

Quote from: pdlethbridge on August 06, 2007, 05:18:34 PM
Scot, do you know where the B&O depot is in Rochester?

yep! right on West Main street on the edge of downtown.
Rochester's largest (by far!) surviving passenger station, originally BR&P.
here is a pic:

http://www.rochester.lib.ny.us/rochimag/rochpublib/rpf/rpf00/rpf00353.jpg

New York Central had three much larger stations in Rochester, (at different times) but all are sadly gone.

There are several other surviving BR&P-B&O stations on the line south of Rochester. Today the Rochester & Southern railroad runs the B&O tracks from Rochester to Silver Springs.

Quote from: Craig on August 06, 2007, 09:44:13 PM
You mean this? I was just there.

yep, thats the Sayre station!
I was a member of the first RR museum there back in the 80's.
there is now a second museum there, run by the new Sayre Historical Society. was the museum open when you were there?

Scot

pdlethbridge

Have you ever had a Garbage Plate? It's Nick Tahoes place now, at least until Nick died. Don't forget the LV station on the south east side of the genesee. The trestle to the station platform came down when Time Warner got the cable going in the city. All the tracks are gone now but the right of ways for the Pennsy, Lackawanna, and Lehigh Valley is pretty much still there.

Guilford Guy

ooh ooh ooh ooh me memememememem I hvae waht due i win!
it is a tairn?
due i got a big seatm egnnie
OOH OH OHHHH
I went to depo toda and saw teh big trane nd it had big ingens on teh frunt and was at teh deepo and thar wuz lik 3 trax at teh depo amd teh depo helpde rochastur cuz it contected al teh lidle sopz togathur soe thot we cud shipp franches musturd
Alex

Craig

Quotewas the museum open when you were there?

I don't know. I was riding with my future ex brother-in-law and we had an itinerary. I made him stop so I could show my kids the NS/Ex Conrail Dash-8's in the yard and let them play on this:

Then we ate here:

This was pretty cool:

Guilford Guy

Yay a clock on steroids!
The Trains in the Depot are cool too  ;)
Alex

Craig

Yeah, those depot trains were really swell. I liked eating at the depot after we left the depot and then checking out the other restaurant 8 miles away at the depot. I have pics of my kids hanging out at the depot on the caboose but I'd have to blurr them out to post them at the depot.

I agree about the depot clock.

Guilford Guy

And those Big Diesel Trains must be going down the depot all the way to chicago or somewhere.
Alex

Paul M.

Quoteauthor=scottychaos link=topic=2166.msg18512#msg18512 date=1186431201]

yeah, that kind of thing happens all the time..the media is woefully ignorant about railroads..

Here in Rochester, CSX tracks up by Kodak are always referred to as "The B&O tracks"..hasnt been the B&O in 35 years!

Scot

Yeah, FORTUNE magazine called a unit train of coal hoppers a "boxcar train"

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Guilford Guy

Quote from: Paul M. on August 09, 2007, 06:54:18 PM
Yeah, FORTUNE magazine called a unit train of coal hoppers a "boxcar train"
ROFL
Yea, Boston Reporters call the Boeing LRV's the first "Picture Window" car whilst Boston had many "Picture Window" PCC's.
Alex

Beatle (TrainBrain)

"Clock on steriods" ::) :D

Ya know what dat dare reminded me of:

The Red Caboose Motel!

...and resturant.

;D

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris