News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Flickering carriage lights

Started by Derek, October 22, 2012, 05:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek

Hello,

That was an interesting discussion about the wheel sounds from the Acela cars... I've noticed it too, but just left it as is.

The problem I have is that the lights in one of the carriages (cars) have started to flicker very badly, while the lights in the other cars remain solidly on. 
What causes this, and is it easy to fix?

Cheers from New Zealand.

jonathan

Derek,

99% of the time, this is caused by dirt/fuzz build up on the wheels and pick up brushes.

I like to take some 600 grit sandpaper and gently brush the pick up brushes where they touch the back of the wheels.  A good wheel cleaning will help, too.  I usually put a paper towel across the tracks, with a bit of cleaning fluid on the paper towel.  Then move the car back and forth across the towel.  You should see some black stuff start to build up on the paper towel as you move the car back and forth.

Also, make sure all the pick up brushes have enough pressure to make good contact with the backs of the wheels.

This is a guess, but usually the 'carriage' closest to the front of the train is the one that starts to flicker.  It gets the dirt before the other cars.

Regards,

Jonathan

Derek

Thanks very much... I'll give your suggestions a go.