Curious about the EMD DD40AX Centennial DCC Equipped Diesel locomotive

Started by VwBoy719, October 28, 2012, 03:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VwBoy719

i was wondering. How many cars can the DD40X pull? does it pull less than the Athern Big Boy or does it pull more? What kind of curved track is required for the DD40X to prevent it from derailing?

sd24b

Quote from: VwBoy719 on October 28, 2012, 03:27:45 PM
i was wondering. How many cars can the DD40X pull? does it pull less than the Athern Big Boy or does it pull more? What kind of curved track is required for the DD40X to prevent it from derailing?
I have the older twin motor DD.  It pulls about 15 up a 2% 36"rad. curve grade.  It will go around 18" rad. curve  but make sure you have plenty of clearance on the inside.  It runs great with the Athearn Genesis DD.  Goes into the shop next month for detail upgrade.  Personally, I would not run it on anything smaller than 24" curve.  I also added more weight to mine for two reasons; slow it down and more tractive effort.     Phil

jward

the biggest problem will not be if it can get around a particular curve, but if it will derail whatever is coupled to it on that curve. big locomotives tend to have alot of overhang on the ends, and when they round curves, that overhang can swing out and pull the cars coupled to them off the track. and the dda40x is the biggest of the big,

use the widest  curves you can for this one. if using ez track, no smaller than 26r or 28r,
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA