News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 36 Ton Two Truck Shay

Started by Bazza, October 03, 2012, 11:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazza

Just bought a Two Truck Shay 36 ton. Overall condition is perfect - lights, sound, motors etc all good. You know what's coming next... Right, the gears are pretty much shredded, I only have drive on one axle. This is far to good to scrap, anyone have any information / ideas as to what to do - wouldreally appreciate some info.
:'(

charon

The 36 ton shay was the first generation (81000 series) second generation, with better trucks was labeled 38 ton (82000) series.
I would recommend you install a set of the Bachmann replacement motorized trucks, if Bachmann doesn't have them, try Trainworld or Ebay.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

charon

Sorry, there should have been a period after (81000 series)
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Bazza

Chuck - thanks for the reply, after posting the problem I searched through this site - now I am educated into all the aspects of the problem!! Did find some on e-bay $187 for the pair. It seems simple enough to replace them - now I just have to come up with the cash!! Thanks again, Barry

BarneyJack

Hi Barry,
Try searching for the replacement truck part number, i.e. "Bachmann 88999".  I think you might be able to do a little better than $187.  And also, make sure that you are getting a pair of trucks (I've seen auctions for individual trucks in the past) and that they are the "Die-cast" metal body trucks.

John
Home of the Petaluma, Santa Rosa & Napa Valley Railway

Bazza

Thanks - will keep looking for a better deal!
Barry

Nathan

Check Caboose Hobbies, they show them in stock at a better price.  Search Bachmann Spectrum, they are on the first page.

caboosehobbies.com

Bazza

Managed to get a pair of new trucks $154.99 - Lantz Hobby Shop. Also bought the Bachmann oil and grease - Trucks are the die cast version - much improved. Installation was not too difficult - managed to get both trucks going in opposite directions at first!!! Flipped the wires on one and solved the problem. The wires on the replacements were red and black. The wires on my shay are both black on the rear truck and both red on the front truck - so its a kind of guess. Stripped the wires back and twisted them together, then ran a little solder over the join and heat shrunk a cover to insulate. Replaced everything and bench tested - it worked perfectly. Tried it on the track and it shorted out on the first bend - great on the straight. Back to the bench - took it all apart again and found a tiny area of bare wire showing where it entered the heat shrink. Re-made the joint and made sure it was covered. Back to the track and IT WORKS!!!!! So thanks for the input folks.