News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

22 radius turn outs

Started by union pacific 844, October 31, 2012, 01:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 844

Jhanecker2

Unfortunately they don't exist .  Try using a #4  or # 5  turnout . This assumes you are using Bachmann E-Z Track .  Also  Atlas does not make any either though  I believe  Walthers does make them for their Power-Loc brand Track .  However this might add more complications since their turnouts are  slightly different in proportion to E-Z Track  and have a different locking mechanism  though they do make a track adapter segment.
Sorry there isn't  a perfect easy fix .  J2

rbryce1

I had a beef about that not long ago, Bachmann not making any easy solution to a turnout in 22" radius.  It seems that would not be so hard to do, and since a larger portion and growing all the time will need 22" radius track, it seems they should make one as a standard.  They do make the #4, 5 and 6, and these all work fine for a turnout going to a spur from straight track, but many times I want a spur coming from a curved track, and the only one that works nice is 18" radius.

Also, it would be nice if they would make the curved section of the turnout the same length as their standard curved track section, so it is a drop in replacement without the need to find a lot of small section combinations (which they do not sell in the needed curved lengths) to allow the completing of a 90 degree curved section of track or provide the added section like they do in some of their other turnouts.

I can understand them not making it for the 26", 28" and up although I wish they would make them as well, but they should at least make the 18" and 22" radius turnout as that covers all of their engines and rolling stock recommended curves.

jward

i can understand your frustration here.

i have been fooling around with anyrail lately, designing some ez track layouts.    having worked with atlas layout software before, it is frustrating to have to deal with non-standard lengths of track and the lack of a drop in replacement.

here's what i've found;

the #4 has an odd angle which can't be duplicated with any of the ez track curves. the 15 degree 18r comes closest.

the #5 is an exact match for the 12 degree 33.25r section. adding a full section of 26r or larger radii will get you to 30 degrees. but since the standard 22r is 22.5 degrees, and the half section 11.25 degrees, its use with 22r track is difficult at best. what is really needed is a 1/3 section of 22r, which would be 7.5 degrees. fortimately atlas makes one without roadbed which could be used with ez track. you'd have to shim the atlas section with cork or 1/4" pine moulding strip  for support. they are also only available in code 83 wiile ez track is code 100. you'll have to use special transition rail joiners to use them together.

atlas also makes the 22r snap switch, which would seem a better solution to your problem. the curve on the true track version is 30 degrees, but i believe on the non-roadbed version it is the standard 22.5 degrees. the drawback here is that the atlas 22r switches are code 83 and the ez track code 100. you'll have to use special transition rail joiners to connect them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

union pacific 844

ok cool i need a turn outs so i can run 4-8-4's to run on with out derailing i do use ez track  and bachmann ez track turn outs do not work at all for 4-8-4's and i plan on buying bigger steam engine  my biggest steam engine will be a 4-8-8-4  i run all 22'' radius  in ez track now i want sidings and a yard  but i don't derailing engines all the time  so what can i do?

jward

use the number 5s and number 6s wherever possible. use short sections of flex track shimmed to ez track height for the pieces that don't fit. flex is available in code 100 so it can use standard rail joiners. look into a set of ribbonrail guages of various radii to help in laying the flex track.

do you know what the minimum radius for the big boy is? that thing's a brute.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

JRG1951

Bachmann makes a whole line of EZ track turnouts both #5 and #6, Along with many curves that are greater than 22 inches.  The track combinations are pretty limitless with their track products.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewCat&catId=195

By using plywood or cork under the track you can combine other brands of track for yards or sidings. You may have to do surgery with a razor saw from time to time to get the track like you want it, but such is life.
Regards,
John
***********************************************************************************************
Information is not knowledge. >> Albert Einstein  

richg

Super elevate the curves with some styrene shims. Takes a bit of skill and planning to be done correctly. Our club did that when the layout was being built, especially on a curve which is on a 2.2 percent grade. The track crosses over itself.

Rich

jward

rich,
what is the radii of the curves your club superelevated? i'll bet they were alot larger than 22r.

superelevation on small radius curves can cause the train to "stringline' and derail when starting. on those curves it is more trouble than it is worth. on 36r it's a whole different story.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

railtwister

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on October 31, 2012, 05:59:48 AM
Unfortunately they don't exist .  Try using a #4  or # 5  turnout . This assumes you are using Bachmann E-Z Track .  Also  Atlas does not make any either though  I believe  Walthers does make them for their Power-Loc brand Track .  However this might add more complications since their turnouts are  slightly different in proportion to E-Z Track  and have a different locking mechanism  though they do make a track adapter segment.
Sorry there isn't  a perfect easy fix .  J2

While it's true that Bachmann doesn't offer any 22" radius turnouts, Atlas does have them in their code 83 track line, both in Snap Track and in True Track (with molded roadbed), in either manual or remote powered configurations. However, Atlas doesn't offer 22" radius turnouts in their code 100 line at this time.

Bill in FtL

rbryce1

Rich & Jeff:  OK, What is meant by "Super Elevate"?

jward

superelevation is when curves are banked to allow higher speeds. it is common and necessary on highways and real railroads. but model railroads don't need superelevation, and it is a cosmetic touch that makes trains look like they lean around curves. it is done by adding shims under the outside rail and ties on a curve. too much superelevation, and your trains will roll over when you try to start them on the curve.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rbryce1

Well, now that I know what it is called, I have already done that to all of my curves.  Apparently I did it right, as the trains have no difficulty in the curves and have not fallen over!  It does give me a note of comfort when I screw up and take a turn at full power by accident with no disaster! :D

Jhanecker2

I made the assumption that the gentleman would want to stay with Code 100 Track if he is using EZ track.  While switching to various  Track Codes is always  a possibility  it does  add further complications .  J2