News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3 Truck Shay questions - and first post

Started by redd_planet, November 02, 2012, 06:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redd_planet

Hello all.  This is my first post and I have questions I know you can answer (yes I've looked through the forum but I just don't see my answers).  

I have a ceiling mounted G scale layout, basically an L shaped layout in the family room and kitchen.  Simple DC voltage to the track, I use the Train Engineer system to run the train from my easy chair.  I have a Bachmann 2 truck Shay (Ely Thomas 6) and Climax (Ely Thomas 7) pulling Bachmann skeleton cars.  Also have a second manufacturers S4 Pennsylvania diesel pulling a third manufacturers set of eight mini ore cars.  Trains not in use have a home on a bookshelf diorama.  This arrangement is not sophisticated but it works for me.

The Bachmann 3 Truck Shay is now catching my eye.  I'm considering the 82697 or similar.  I see they all say Tsunami sound and DCC installed.  Okay great but here are my questions:

* Will the Tsunami sound work on a DC system, i.e. sensing increased or decreased track voltage for the bell and whistle and chug?  Will it sense reversing the engine and toot accordingly (2 toots or 3)?  I don't want to buy a loco with sound if the sound won't work on my DC layout.

* DCC installed, what does that mean?  If I chose to update to a DCC system, what do I have to buy to run the loco with DCC (and I assume actuate the bell, whistle, other sounds on my command)?  Would I simply use my existing transformer and turn it on to 100%?

* The 2 truck Shay and Climax operate on my overhead 4 (and 5) foot curves.  Will the 3 truck work on 4 foot curves too?  

Just as an unrelated FYI, I had the opportunity to witness Nickel Plate Road 765 when it came through Western PA in late August.  Was a sight to behold!

Thanks to all in advance.

tony9492

Hope you get some good answers on your post. I have similar questions about powering up my static display #7 Shay  but it is only DCC ready.

the Bach-man

Dear Redd,
The Shay will operate on 4' RADIUS (8' DIAMETER) track.
DCC ON Board means that it will operate on an NMRA compliant DCC system.
If you stick with an analog system you might as well buy the analog version.
Have fun!
the Bach-man