News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hello and Advice Needed

Started by SlinfoldLBSCR, November 04, 2012, 09:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlinfoldLBSCR

Hi everyone

I am thinking of modelling in N gauge and was wondering what eras would be best as I would like to do an American style Layout. As I am in the UK and have little idea at the moment are there any websites you would reccommend giving good clear information.

Thank you  from a Newbie :)
Loves anything to do with the London Brighton and South Coast Railway and American Railroads models in N gauge

jward

i would recommend the era from about 1965 to 1975, give or take a few years.     steam was gone, but you could run almost any type of diesel.  most freight cars would also be appropriate. best of all, until 1971 most railroads operated their own passenger trains.

one word of advice from a former n scaler: you have enough room for wider curves.    take advantage of this and keep your minimum radius to 14-15" and you'll be able to run just about anything without problems.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CNE Runner

I have an interest in English railways and am beginning the process of building an HOn3 (OO/9) layout. Having little knowledge with English railways or terminology, I frequently read Railway Modeller or Continental Modeller magazines (which are very pricey here in the States). May I suggest that you do the same with some U.S. publications?

I am sure Model Railroader is available in the U.K. I also suggest signing up for the FREE e-zine Model Railroad Hobbyist [http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/]. It just makes sense to begin a process of educating yourself to the whole genre of American railroading...in the process, you will [probably/hopefully] find the era that best suits your interests.

From what I can gather in Continental Modeller magazine, there are a lot of hobbyists interested in American railroading within the U.K. Hopefully you can interact with one of them.

All the best and good luck,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

SlinfoldLBSCR

Thank you so much that's a great help :)
Loves anything to do with the London Brighton and South Coast Railway and American Railroads models in N gauge

rogertra

LBSCR?

I'm from Southern territory, Havant to be exact, home of the Hayling Island Branch.  An ex LBSCR branch at that.  :-)

Doneldon

Slinfold-

The choices of era, location, railroad, etc., are very personal ones. No one on this board can tell you what is best because
that's something which only you know. Look at some North American model railroading magazines and books, paying
attention to the articles on which you linger or find yourself imagining running trains like are depected. Then examine
the content of the articles or book sections to explicitly identify what it is that is capturing your attention, things like
steam or diesel locomotives, mountain railroading, urban railroading, great scenic expanses, tight industrial trackage
with plenty of switching opportunities and challenges, granger railroading, a waterfront setting, narrow gauge logging or
mining railroading, passenger operations, freight operations, both, and dozens of other things. The key is for you to
identify what most interests you. You've started this already by deciding to model US railroading, which is great, but you
need to go futher.

Those of us on this board can tell you what our interests are, what intrigues us about a given time, place or railroad, and
even what kind of models are available, but we can't tell you what to model. You are the world's number one expert on
that. Good luck!

-- D