News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

what the best motor?

Started by zuicey227, November 03, 2012, 10:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zuicey227

What are generally the best motors for HO trains and can i upgrade the motor, I have the FA2 CN diesel with sound, it says it has the 1600 HSP model 244?

zuicey227

just wondering if there is more information on the types of motors and where i can find this info. thanks.

jonathan

For modern equipment, each manufacturer's motor is made to fit in the space allowed.  The days of swapping out/upgrading motors are becoming fewer and fewer. Mostly, they are all good motors, in comparison to the old open frame, or pancake, motors of days gone by.

Having written that, there are still a few places that sell motors, mostly for working on older models.

Check out "Yardbird" Classic Trains, Northwest Shoreline (NWSL), or Fallbaugher (sp) to name a few.

I only look for motors if I'm working on an old Cast metal, or brass model.  When it come to modern equipment, the juice is not worth the squeeze.

Regards,

Jonathan

Steve Magee

To misquote an old speed equipment adage, efficiency costs money, how efficient do you want to be.

In addition to the Faulharber mentioned by Johnathon, there is also the Portescap range:

http://www.portescap.com/category-brush-dc.html

The improvements by using a high efficiency brushless/coreless motor are incremental, but given the small size of our models it is often worth chasing them.

PS - they are NOT cheap :)

Cheers

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

jward

the "motor" you made reference to is the diesel engine used in the real fa2: the alco 244, rated at 1600 horsepower. the sound file in the decoder simulates this engine, and rather well i might add.

this has absolutely nothing to do with the motor which actually powers the model.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

Quote from: jward on November 04, 2012, 12:20:47 PM
the "motor" you made reference to is the diesel engine used in the real fa2: the alco 244, rated at 1600 horsepower. the sound file in the decoder simulates this engine, and rather well i might add.

this has absolutely nothing to do with the motor which actually powers the model.

lol

JerryB

I would stick with the "1600 HSP model 244 diesel," especially if you like the performance, sound and fuel consumption!

<<Just making a joke!!>>

Before anyone can make a model motor (or re-powering) recommendation, we would need to know why you want to "upgrade" your existing motor.

Maybe you need to change motors, or maybe there are other operational or equipment problems that need to be addressed.

Happy Ring,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources