News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Williams Mikado

Started by Srcjo, November 04, 2012, 08:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Srcjo

What ever became of the new release of the Williams Mikado? I saw it featured in the 2011 TCA spring open house.

DominicMazoch

Srcjo

That's to Bad. looked like a nice loco. im sure it would have sold well. :'(

TrainmanGene

I believe the newer generation of Train enthusiasts are leaning toward Diesels. The baby boomers would go either way since we were around during the transition from steam to diesel but most of the new generation of enthusiasts are into diesels.  Today's kids don't have a clue to who or what the Pennsy, New York Central, CB&Q etc was other than States or Cities.
Sueme Valley System

r0gruth

Gene,

I agree.

Most kids have only seen steam locos in a movie or on TV.They are those old timey things.
Roger

Hamish K

This locomotive was apparently to be based on former K-Line tooling and was to be relatively expensive, compared for example to the Williams 4-6-0 announced at the same time.   Lionel also announced a very similar 2-8-2, also apparently based on K-line tooling,  at about the same time.  I presume that Williams decided that the market wasn't big enough for both. I hope Williams will produce more new steam locomotives, preferably at prices similar to the 4-6-0.

Hamish

TrainmanGene

I see Trainworld still has the Mike on back order on there web site for $500.00. I'll probably get a NYC Lake Shore Limited set after the holidays actually only for the locomotive. Pity it don't come as a passenger set.  As far as new steamers I would like to see a USRA Pacific and it can be used prototypicaly on many roads or with just the US on the tender so you can use it on roads like the Pennsy. A Reading G-1 Pacific also but it probably would not be profitable to produce it. Mr Bach-Man take note on the USRA Pacific lol.
Sueme Valley System

DominicMazoch

I would like WBB to hve a amall 0-4-0 or 0-6-0.  I like PRR, but a common engine would be nice.

Cobrabob8

I would like to see a reasonably priced 2-6-0 Mogul or 2-8-0 Consolidation. What say you Mr. Bach-Man?  I understand the cost involved but, so far you have two homeruns with the GP-30 and 4-6-0. ;)
Cobrabob.
"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."

Cobrabob8

I can't wait to get my grubby little paws on a New York Central GP-30!!!!!!  ;D
Cobrabob.
"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."

TrainmanGene

It would be nice seeing some 1890's or early 1900's era wooden passenger cars for the 4-6-0 as well.
Sueme Valley System

M1FredQ

Don't be to quick to write off the newer generation.

Just in my 9 year old son's circle of friends once you show and tell them steamers they DO like them.

Our job as hobbyists is also to get the the younger generation into the hobby.

What killed the plastic model airplanes is that the major model industry kept catering to the older sophisticated modeler and the kids just dropped off.

What I have noticed with the train industry is that they know the life blood is with the young kids there is a nice balance of entry level sets combined with nice stuff for us more "hooked' hobbyists

The industry has its hands full BUT with the "boomers" retiring and becoming grandparents they are re-discovering the fun they had with trains and sharing the passion and fun with grandkids and nephews! etc.

I think steamers will always be interesting. look at how many boomers with some money are restoring the real thing and how many excursions have steam.

r0gruth

Fred,

I hope you are right. :) :)
Roger

Seaboard Air Line Fan

I'd still like to see Bachmann make this engine.  I've been looking for a USRA 2-8-2 for some time now and most are way outside my price range.  I think if they could get the price a bit closer to what the 4-6-0 is going for they'd have a winner.

How bout it Bachmann, give this (and us) another chance!

M1FredQ

Maybe if Bachmann ran a "Plebiscite" vote on this forum they might get enough feedback to see if it would be worth it to produce it.

The more I read about these "Mikes" the more I like them!!!!