Large Scale 3 Truck Shay with Sound WSLC #4 Questions re third truck

Started by spslaw, November 04, 2012, 02:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spslaw

Just purchased a the WSLC #4 Large Scale 3 truck shay.  The third truck on my unit does not rotate.  Is this as designed?  If so, is there any way to convert it to rotate.  (I have have several 4' diameter curves on my layout and the third truck derails at that radius.)

Thanks for your help.

the Bach-man

Dear Sp,
The truck doesn't rotate, and you'll need at least 8' diameter curves (or better) for reliable operation.
Sorry!
the Bach-man

tac

Is there something lost in translation here?  reading this post I went straight to my three-truck Shay - running this afternoon and therefore handy - to see what you meant.

I've just watched it going around my little track in the near darkness, and it might be my old eyes fooling me, but although I  KNOW that the second drive shaft drives ONLY the drive shaft - there are no crown gears - the wheels rotated just like they should with that motorised third truck driving them.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Skarloey Railway

Quote from: tac on November 05, 2012, 01:29:09 PM
Is there something lost in translation here?  reading this post I went straight to my three-truck Shay - running this afternoon and therefore handy - to see what you meant.

I've just watched it going around my little track in the near darkness, and it might be my old eyes fooling me, but although I  KNOW that the second drive shaft drives ONLY the drive shaft - there are no crown gears - the wheels rotated just like they should with that motorised third truck driving them.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

I assume the issue is that the truck does not rotate (ie swivel) independently of the tender body. But regardless, asking a largescale 3 truck shay to negotiate a 4' diameter curve is just silly. Bear in mind that a 4' diameter curve in largescale is tighter than a 6 inch radius curve in HO

tac

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  I don't understand how anybody could have thought that the truck swivelled underneath the water tank/tender.  Trucks only swivel when the car-body/superstructure above them is long enough to need two trucks - THEN they swivel.

The water tank is not much bigger than the truck.  :-\

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS