News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Horseshoe Curve

Started by PRRNut, February 10, 2007, 12:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRRNut

For some reason, I noticed that some of the modern Horseshoe Curve images indicate that the main has only three tracks! Whatever had happened to the four-tracked main line???

pdlethbridge

It wasn't needed because a lot of freight was going by highway. Also the railroads have become more efficient with bigger cars and locomotives. It all ties in to the cutbacks and consolidations all railroads have faced.

David Leonard

Conrail removed track #2 sometime in the early 80's.  They also removed one of three tracks on the Pittsburgh Division between Conpitt and Pittsburgh and single tracked the Conemaugh Division about the same time.

train guy

It was discarded. done away with.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: train guy on September 27, 2011, 08:22:07 PM
It was discarded. done away with.

I have kin who have a vacation home along the Middle Division. I remember when I was a kid when it was four-tracked. Now there are only two tracks.  :(

jsmvmd

Howdy!

I can verify there is a lot of traffic on two lines!  On a particular Friday ~1000, about four years ago there were four consists side by side at the AMTRAK terminal "downtown" Altoona. Very impressive.

phillyreading

Railroads are trying to cut their budgets and going with less rails is less expenses for maintenance.
I remember also when Horseshoe Curve had four tracks.
On the north side of Reading PA, Conrail did away with a lot of tracks. From Reading(old Reading tracks) to Leesport is down to two tracks near Tuckerton Road(Temple), Leesport at Center St. has only one track that goes north of Leesport through Hamburg.
Rt. 61 near Bellevue Rd. near Laureldale has the railroad (Pennsy track)overpass removed that used to run to a small coal yard behind the Arco gas station. Also north of Reading the old Pennsy line is down to one track.
Conrail did away with a lot of tracks and now Conrail is done away with, bought up by CSX and Norfolk Southern.

Lee F.

jward

the number two main over the mountain was torn out in 1981. it was one of the last remaining sections of 4 track main. that altoona-johnstown remained 4 track for so long is probably due to the increased traffic on this sections due to all the helper locomotives getting into position to shove their next train up the mountiain. the signal circuits don't care if your train is just 2 locomotives of a mile long, a train still takes up the same amount of track space.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jward

that's because you live in louisiana, and have never experienced it in person. especially at night, it is an experience you'd never forget.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

I have to agree. It is a fantastic place to visit both day and night. I live in Louisiana and still have the itch to go back this time with my family. The last time I went I was on a business trip with alot of extra time on my hands. There is a youtube video by SMARTTinc. that is very fascinating to watch. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLT5IuW4T3I&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL4466E0BDC67CD79C

Jerry

jward

i live in the area. horseshoe curve and the mountain are a day trip for me. one of my fondest memories is of the old alcos bringing a loaded coal train down the mountain at night, with dynamic brake grids glowing, and the brake shoe and wheel rims on the cars red hot and throwing sparks. or standing in the park at the curve one winter night watching the headlight beams sweep around the mountainsides as a heavy train wound its way up the mountain from altoona. photos can never do this place justice.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

jward
All I can do for now is imagine as there were no trains around when I was there.
I always wanted to live in the mountains but never got the chance. It must be nice to go whenever you want.
Jerry

jward

it was, and still is. most of the truly interesting locomotives are gone now, but the sd80macs still frequent the area. unfortunately, most of my favourite places on the mountain are now off limits to railfans. i've walked the enitre mountain from altoona to cresson, ridden it a few times in the cab of a locomotive, and it never gets old.

to-day it helps to know when the trains get there. it is usually pretty busy with trains climbing the mountain in the morning, and trains descending after dark.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jward

just to point out....

first off, nobody was running down shortline railroading in the deep south. but you yourself did solicit the comments about horseshoe curve. if it doesn't interest you don't reply to the thread. i don't.....

second, it should be noted that the prr in specific and northeatern railroads in general were not all mainlines. those heavily travelled arteries were fed by a maze of rural branchlines. get sick of the mainline, wander up the branchlines and see what you find. doubt what i am saying? google western allegheny and see for yourself.

some of my formative railfan experiences were cab rides on the graham county and yancey railroads, both in north carolina and both long gone. both had some of the most decrepid track i've ever seen.  it is a different character than the mainline to be sure, but both are railroading.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Woody Elmore

The PRR was known as the Standard Railroad of the World. RR people from all over the globe came to see how the Pennsy worked.  Omitting the Pennsy from modeling would be like omitting John Wayne from a discussion about Western movies.

I spent many summers in South Carolina and remember the trains running on the old C&WC line.  I'd love to see some C&WC locomotives. Part of the problem with writing about  or modeling a shortline railroad is that there were so many of them and a lot of them have little documentation.

A company like Bachmann knows that it will sell more K-4s than Wabash pacifics. It's a matter of dollars and cents.

No modeler should miss the opportunity of seeing trains in action on the horeseshoe curve.