News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Changing couplers

Started by AndyJB, November 16, 2012, 05:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyJB

Today I started the job of changing the couplers on all my grandsons rolling stock and locos, we are going from the hook and loop to KD couplers. So far I've only attacked rolling stock and the hardest part is removing the small round molding where the screw goes though. I'm using a an Xacto type knife but one it's slow and two there's the chance the knife will slip and I'll loose a small piece of finger.
Anyone found a better way of removing this molding?

Thanks Andy.

jward

have you tried a razor saw or filing it down?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

AndyJB

There's not a lot of room for a razor saw and all my files that are narrow enough are also very fine and would either take for ever or clog.
But what if I wrap some 80 grit paper around one... mmmm thanks.

81F

Have you seem this earlier thread?

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,21716.0.html

However, the way I used to remove similar mouldings on other British outline stock was to use a drill a little larger than the round moulding. This was done very carefully using a hand drill. Once I had removed about 3/4 of it I then finished the rest off using files and a scalpel.

I should add that this was to give my wagons a more prototypical appearance in the days when I could see to use 3 link or screw link couplings rather than fitting Kadee couplings.
Modelling the Great Western Railway in the Welsh Borders, and the Glyn Valley Tramway with a few bits from elsewhere!

AndyJB

thomasj219

Yes because in the whole wide world of model railroading two people have never had the same problem.  ::)
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.