News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Mountain

Started by wes_sutton, August 07, 2007, 09:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wes_sutton

I think its great you guys are finally doing this model in N.

What hasn't been answered yet - although the question has been asked a couple of times - is whether it will be offered as a non-DCC version thus saving us cavemen some hard earn $$$?

At best will they be analog friendly to be operated on non-DCC layouts.

Wes
South Oz

the Bach-man

Dear Wes,
As far as I know, they'll all be DCC.
Sorry!
the Bach-man

tjerrard

Will the wheels be friendly to code 55 track?

Thanks
Tom

Williamson

Quote from: tjerrard on August 12, 2007, 10:32:56 AM
Will the wheels be friendly to code 55 track?

Thanks
Tom

Bachmann has been Code 55 friendly since at least the 1980s (the flanges have been reasonably sized since at least then)

Williamson

BTW, Bachmann has already done the light USRA Mountain in N scale - which is non DCC and reasonably priced.

The loco recently announced is the USRA HEAVY Mountain.

McIntosh

Can this loco be used on DC layouts?.

Thanks
    Russ

brokemoto

The heavy 4-8-2 is supposed to have a 'smart' decoder, that will recognise if it is being fed DC or code.  Those who have experience with such decoders have informed me that it take a higher voltage on DC to get the locomotive moving until the decoder heats up, then you must scale back the throttle.

Sooooo, it looks like business as usual, since my Kato locomotives work that way, anyhow.

I do not use DCC, by the way.

In the past, there are those who have stated that you can remove the decoder and  rejoin the wires, but I have never bought a locomotive with a decoder in it.  I suspect that the USRA heavy 4-8-2 will be my first such purchase.  If I like it, I  might buy more.  I would so much prefer the ten-wheeler, though.

Williamson

Here's the correct tender for the "as delivered" USRA mountain:

The N&W replaced these with six axle tenders in the 1920s.

Odd that you picked the USRA long tenders for these as these only came with 2-10-2s and articulateds from the USRA.

And you have what appears to be the correct tender already tooled (see your USRA light mountain). ::)

taz-of-boyds

I can't believe I missed the opportunity to add "pretty please" for the ten wheeler myself (brokemoto's comment).

I may be getting one each of the new separate tenders and trying the Vandy six wheel truck on the URSA to see if it works and how it looks as a WM tender with the 2-8-0 (the H9's had six wheel trucks).  But if someone else has already done something like this please let us know how it turned out.  I did some photo editing like this, and I am not too sure how it fits.

Have fun,
Charles