need information on bachmann train set "the Pioneer"

Started by ghipsher, November 11, 2012, 06:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghipsher

My mom gave me a train set that belonged to my dad.  It is a Bachmann, the name of the set is The Pioneer.  It is HO gauge.  It is still in the box. Any idea of how old it is or its worth.  I love having it. Just like to have more info.

Doneldon

ghip-

Old train sets are only very rarely worth much money. It's the old law of supply and demand and there is essentially no
demand. Train set components tend to be the cheapest items made by a given company, in order to keep the prices
down, consequently, they don't have very much detail and they aren't known for their reliability. Add in the fact that you
have an older set and things get worse, not better. Older train sets tend to have even worse detail and operating
characteristics than today's train sets. Therefore, no one wants them. The few which do attract some attention are those
which are in perfect condition in boxes which are also like new, or true antiques. That pretty much means pre-WWII or a
few post-war Lionel items. I've never seen an HO train set which sold for as much old as it sold for new and many were
originally sold at sale prices. Some older HO brass models, particularly Japanese locomotives, can be worth a good price
but even those are looking at a comparatively soft market today.

-- D

mhampton

Quote from: ghipsher on November 11, 2012, 06:30:21 PM
My mom gave me a train set that belonged to my dad.  It is a Bachmann, the name of the set is The Pioneer.  It is HO gauge.  It is still in the box. Any idea of how old it is or its worth.  I love having it. Just like to have more info.

A Bachmann Silver Series Pioneer train set recently sold on eBay for $45.  If yours is a Silver Series set, it is not very old at all.  If I run across any production dates for an older set, I'll let you know.  Regardless of its age, it will be worth more to you as a reminder of your father than anything else.