News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Motor shaft diameter

Started by bplessy, November 14, 2012, 09:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bplessy

Does anyone know the diameter of the motor shaft of Bachmann motor H61206 used in the HO GP50 engine.  Any info on adding flywheels is also appreciated.

Stephen D. Richards

On the flywheel question...which frame do you have?  If you have the horizontal later type frame you will first need to machine out some of the frame area.  I would turn some flywheels down just a bit as well to make them fit.  Make sure the flywheel shaft holes are not very much bigger than the shaft diameter!  Use a glue that is designed for secureing the flywheel to the shaft.  Several are out there.  If in doubt, Joe Delia at Proto Power West/A Line has a good one.  Micro Mark sells one as well.  Hope that helps some.  Stephen

bplessy

Thanks for the input.  The upper half of the frame  will have to be milled and possibly the lower half also.  I am considering flywheells from NWSL that are 630 mm diameter and a slip fit on a 2mm motor shaft.  Do you know the ball diameter on the GP50 drive shaft?  I am also considering using one of their universal couplings if I can determine the dimensions of the ball.

Boake

bplessy

Correction: Not 630 mm but .630 inches or 16 mm.

Boake

Stephen D. Richards

I'm not sure of the size of the U joint but you may have to change both sides of the drive shaft.  Fairly easy to do but does take a little time.  Both A Line and Micromark as well as Walthers have a universal drive line kit.  I've not used any of North West Short Lines drive line items so I'm not sure of their compatibility  with the universal drive line componets.  Stephen

richg

You can email Dave at NWSL. He has done work for me and does respond.

Rich