News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 Connie hunt

Started by WillBeck, November 13, 2012, 07:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillBeck

Hello,

I know the Connie's are discontinued, but I am trying to hunt down the Painted, unlettered one in black. I have found a few with the red/white trim, but would really prefer the black. Does anyone know where i might find one?

Other than ebay occasionally, i have not found a store that has one in stock anymore.

Thanks in advance!

Barry BBT

Check with Hans at Gold Coast

Barry
There are no dumb questions.

Loco Bill Canelos

Consider buying one lettered and removing the lettering.  Scalecoat Steam Power Black is very close to the Bachmann black on the Connie.  This is not real hard to do.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

bob kaplan

....and what is the best way for removing the letting on Bachmann's engines.   i have a couple i would like to attempt.  But the more i read, the many methods all leave something to be desired.....if you don't want to hurt the black paint under the lettering... Thanks.
  Perhaps this answer should be another thread...it would be nice to have all methods grouped together!  And...it would not divert the title.

WillBeck

thanks for the tip Barry. If i'm successful, i may need a second drive :)

Regarding the removal of the lettering, something i learned customizing cars, if you can preserve the original finish, the end result tends to be better. I'd prefer to start with a blank canvas. Thank you for the tips though!

Gandy Dancer 1

Hi Willbeck-

I've got a new unlettered Connie that I was getting ready to sell.  It has never been run - been sitting on a shelf.

Since buying it I've changed scales to 7/8ths and so my interest in selling it.

PM me if interested.

Thanks,

Bill

TJ-Lee

Quote from: bob kaplan on November 14, 2012, 09:00:23 AM
....and what is the best way for removing the letting on Bachmann's engines.   

You might look here and see if this method would work on engines:

http://tjstrains.com/154/removing-lettering-and-decals-b/

Best,
TJ

WillBeck

Wow, good tip. I wonder how well it works on the locos. I have a Big Haulers bobber caboose that i can't seem to sell, so i'll practice on that.

Loco Bill Canelos

TJ, Great tips!!  Where did you find the Castrol product??  I have only found a product called Super Clean in a purple vinyl half gallon jug. The liquid inside is purple as well.  I use it for degreasing full size farm tractors, but it never removed any of the lettering on them. No indication it is a castrol product that I could find.  Could it be the same thing??

Thanks Bill

mickeykelley

Barry BBT

Super Clean is available at Walmart and most Auto supply stores.

Barry
There are no dumb questions.

Loco Bill Canelos

Wow!
I went to my local Auto Zone and NAPA and asked them for Castrol Super Clean and they both said they never heard of it!!

I will ask at Wal-Mart.

smcgill

Found it in Walmart a couple years ago!
It does the job. I found if you soak a cotton swab and left it to sit on the letters, it seamed to work with out much running.
Good luck and let us know how you made out!
Sean

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks Guy's,
I went to Walmart and they have Super Clean in a Purple 1 gallon jug for 8 bucks.  It just doesn't say Castrol anywhere on it.  When I first went in I asked for Castrol Super Clean and they said they didn't have Castrol. So while looking on the shelves I found the one gallon jug. They also had a 1 gallon jug of a similar product for 3 bucks less, but I didn't buy the cheaper stuff even tho it looks comparable.

Again Thanks

Bill

bob kaplan

Is the lettering on Bachmann's engines decals or paint?....Super Clean will remove either method??