News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Alco S2 CP Rail

Started by polekat62, November 15, 2012, 06:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polekat62

Mr Bachmann,
          Will the new Alco S2 CP rail #7020 come with a choice of sound .
                                                          Thanks
                                                             Dale

Jerrys HO

Dale

According to the new product announcement it comes with 539 prime mover. Turbo or  not it does not say.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/NMRA_2012.pdf

Jerry

jward

should be 539 turbo same as the s4. when they give the correct sound, why would you want a choice?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

If you look, the CP Rail ALCO S2 is DCC Ready not DCC Sound. Though when released it shouldn't be too hard putting the CP Rail S2 body shell on the DCC Sound S2 chassis. And in real life they would have had a 539 Turbo prime mover.

MarkInLA

So, I understand correctly that no sound is on board as yet with new S2 ..? If so, it looks as if all S's will never have sound due to shape/size of unit..I guess one could have a dummy trailer or always coupled to say, a gondola with a 'load' in middle...I have a now mothballed' analog Proto S1 I could add a decoder to. But, I'm only interested in locos with sound now..I don't want to work that hard...Mark

jward

the s2 is dimentionally similar to the s4. and the s4 came out with sound last year. i have one and i am impressed.

the main spotting difference between the s2 and s4 is the truck sideframes. swap the aar sideframes on an s4 for a set of blunt sideframes and you have instant s2.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Searsport

The difference appears to be that whilst Bachmann released the S4 both DCC ready and with DCC and sound-value for each road name covered, just with different road numbers for the different versions, the S2 is to be supplied DCC ready for some roads and with DCC and sound-value for others.  Despite asking the B-Man, I have not had an answer on whether those roads covered DCC ready this year will be covered DCC and sound-value next year.  However, despite being very pleased with my UP S4 with sound value, I am beginning to think that as this loco spends most of its time shunting, it would be distinctly better with the brake squeal and coupler clang available with a full Tsunami, so if you plan a lot of shunting your best bet may be to get the DCC ready version and fit a full Tsunami yourself.

I have looked at the photos of the UP S2 model and the only difference between that and my S4 seems to be the trucks.

Hope that helps,
Bill.

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

The only choice you will have with the Bachmann Value Sound engines is one or two types of horns.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

wjstix

Quote from: MarkInLA on November 16, 2012, 07:54:16 PM
So, I understand correctly that no sound is on board as yet with new S2 ..? If so, it looks as if all S's will never have sound due to shape/size of unit..I guess one could have a dummy trailer or always coupled to say, a gondola with a 'load' in middle...I have a now mothballed' analog Proto S1 I could add a decoder to. But, I'm only interested in locos with sound now..I don't want to work that hard...Mark

No reason you couldn't add a sound decoder and speaker yourself. A lightboard replacement decoder takes up the same space as the light board it replaces, so takes up no more space. Then you just need to find a spot in the body or cab for a 1/2" by 1/4" speaker and enclosure. A lot of things in DCC (and model railroading in general) seem hard at first, but turn out to be pretty easy once you try it.