News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-4 Kanawha

Started by r.cprmier, August 07, 2007, 03:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.cprmier

Gene;
We briefly discussed the 2-8-4 on display at Peru, Indiana a while back.  Here is the info on the article I was referring to:

Model Railroader; July, 1967
P 38
Engine #7289.
Article by James EuDaly.
If you can locate it via archives, it is one worth reading; espially if you want to superdetail an engine of this wheel arrangement, which I have always considered on of the most beautifully engineered pieces of machinery I have ever seen-other than a B-52.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Rich, I agree.  The C&O K4 is a thing of beauty, even without flying pumps.   I'd have to verify, but I think 2789 was the last one built in 1948.  It didn't last ten years in service.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jsmvmd

Used to live an hour's drive from Pee-Roo, but did not know about the 284. Sorry me.  A few months ago I saw a Berk sitting, rusting, waiting for a rebuild, but for the life of me I cannot remember where!

Is the Peru Berk in good shape?

Best Wishes,

Jack

r.cprmier

Jack;
I haven't seen the Kanawha (don't call it a Berk-Gene is listening...) in many a year.  I would assume it has been mouldering away in that park, within that fenced in area; and hopefully, the town has been tending to it's needs.  If not, shame on them!

An anecdote:
While stationed out there, I part-timed for an electrician.  One of the jobs was a service change at a grain elevator in Bunker Hill.  We got the conduit ready up the side of the elevator (about twenty five foot riser), and got the wire (500MCM copper) positioned to feed.  Now, this clown has a manual come-along-chained to-not the sidings, or ladder track-but the C&O MAIN LINE!!!  "Come on down and work the come along", he yelled up to me.  I had visions of becoming an integral part of the front end of a GP 18 or so at speed, so I respectfully declined...  I wonder if that guy ever killed himself with stunts like that.  I don't really care...

At any rate, that 2-8-4 was a dandy looking engine, and kind of tickled my model-making fancy.  I have about a half dozen of the critters by AHM.  Wanna buy one?

RIch
Rich

jsmvmd

Dear Rich,

Might just take you up on your offer!  I have a Mantua Berk, just purchased used, in need of a major cleaning.  Waiting for the day when our Dear Old Bach Man announces a DCC ready NPR Berk in the HO line. Until then, I will sit here mouldering away.

Best Wishes,

Jack

SteamGene

IIRC, the new 2-8-4s, either Berkshire or Kanawha, are DCC ready.   
I wonder - did the PM Berkshires become Kanawhas when C&O took them over? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

I wonder - did the PM Berkshires become Kanawhas when C&O took them over? 

Gene;
Wasn't there a law or something?...
Rich
Rich