News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Playing with Brass, Plastic and Cameras

Started by jonathan, November 18, 2012, 09:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Been working on a brass loco recently.  I picked this up at the last train show in Timonium.  To say it was a bargain is a gross understatement.  It needed a little help with missing parts and the like.

It features a can motor, new gearbox, working directional lights, new brass doghouse (finally found some), lots of weathering, removable coal load... etc.  Runs great, little headlight flicker, but I think that's normal for the pick up configuration in a brass loco.

As a comparison, I put my most recent Bachmann Project next to the brass one.  Don't ask me to choose my favorite one.  I like them both:

This is how #213 looked around 1957.  #213 is the brass loco, in case you were wondering.   ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

ryeguyisme

Looking amazing as usual Jonathan!! Just the engine alone I couldn't tell the difference between the two until I saw the drivers and rods, I've been kicking myself for notpicking up a brass DRGW C-48 2-8-0, because if I do that I can use it for reference to make more from spectrum connies.

I've been seeing a lot of PFM B&O E-27's on eBay lately, I need one to replicate one of John Allen's engines

Looking forward to seeing more of your work, perhaps you may feel inclined to make a streamlined B&O 4-6-2 with that semi dreyfuss design, I'm planning on doing something like that for my freelance line

J3a-614

Hooray, I'm glad you finally got your mitts on a PFM E-27!  I also have to say it's amazing how closely your modified Bachmann engine came to the look of the PFM model.  Side-by-side photographic comparisons are among the toughest to pass--and I'd say you did great 

You're an inspiration, indeed. . .thanks for sharing.

Now, what might be a C&O class that would resemble the Bachmann engine--hmm., likely something inherited from the Pere Marquette. . .where'd I put my copy of "C&O Power?"

jonathan

Thanks, guys.  Kind comments as always.

As far as scratchbuilding a streamlined 4-6-2; I know one gentlemen who built a P-7 Cincinnattian (sp), using a Bachmann 4-6-2 frame (PRR K4).  That's a little out of my league.  He did some amazing work.

There is so much brass C&O power out there, there may not be a need to modify a Bachmann loco to get what you want, especially the J3a types  ;) .  Their locos and rolling stock were so attractive, I can see how one can become a fan of that railroad.

I haven't speed tested this loco, yet.  I'm hoping it matches closely with my PFM L2b 0-8-0.  Gearboxes and motors are different, but there's a chance I could doublehead a couple brass locos for some great pulling power.

The Bachmann 2-8-0s and 4-8-2s all match very well, and can pull some impressive trains.  I do that on a regular basis.

Regards,

Jonathan

NevinW

Great models.  I used to model the B&O Sheepskin route though Morgantown WV.  The B&O had great equipment to model.  Your models look sharp.  - Nevin

electrical whiz kid

Jonathan;
Beautiful work!  If my stuff comes out even close to yours, I will smile, sit back, have a coke, and call it a major day!!!  Keep up the good work!
Richie C.

jonathan