News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Celebrity Model Railroaders

Started by BillD53A, August 07, 2007, 04:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIG BEAR

Spencer Christian  hosted "Tracks Ahead" a train show on PBS Stations.
They were originally made in Milwaukee, Wi., with creator/host Chuck Zehner. Chuck has now passed and the show was redone using Spencer
as host. He has carried on from there.

Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

glennk28

I knew Rege Cordic---supplied some info he was seeking about our local line. 

Another was Bandleader Billy May--used to see him at regional meeets before PCR was split.

I recall an article in a popular magazine years ago on Merle Haggard--showed him on a porch with O Scale trains running on the railing.

Apparently it was rather common among performers who were on the road a lot to take along something to occupy the time between shows.  I used to do the same--had an attache case with tools and kits in it--called it my "boredom box"--took along on business trips and professional conferences--where often the evenings were either open, or the main attraction was the bar.   gj

max (uk)

Pete Waterman, most known from Pop idol, has his own model train company! Its Called Just Like the Real Thing and the website is http://www.justliketherealthing.co.uk/

conradin

Quote from: max (uk) on August 19, 2007, 08:18:08 AM
Pete Waterman, most known from Pop idol, has his own model train company! Its Called Just Like the Real Thing and the website is http://www.justliketherealthing.co.uk/
You mean he spent all the money he made in the late 80s and early 90s to have a train shop? :o
Now I feel good about buying all those Kylie Minogue records years ago...the money ended up for a "good" cause.  ;D

max (uk)

You mean he spent all the money he made in the late 80s and early 90s to have a train shop? :o
[/quote]

Oh even better, he makes O gauge kits. He stated the business so he could have what he wanted for his model railway.  ::)

VirginiaCentral

Brad mentioned Sam Posey, former race car driver and sports commentator.  Not only did he have an extensive layout, but he also wrote a book about it.  It is called "Playing with Trains" (Random House 2004).  The book is very well written but it only has two pictures in it, and that is including the dust jacket!  For those of us who need pictures, his railroad was featured in the February 1995 issue of Model Railroader. 

Jerry
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

jayl1

Didn't Michael Gross have something to do with a real shortline?...Santa Fe Southern or a similar name???

poliss

Grand Moff Tarkin (Peter Cushing) had an extensive collection.

CubanRailways

Phil Collins used to have a large HO scale American railraod in his basement when he lived in Sussex in the UK.

This all came to an end when his wife filed for divorce, the house was sold and Phil moved abroad with a early 20-something female model...... he should have stuck to the 1:87 modelling - would have cost him a LOT less!

Cheers,

Stephen.

macmack

I've heard somewhere that Paul McCartney is a rail fan.  I don't think they  mentioned if he was a modeler as well.

Woody Elmore

Michael Palin, of Monty Python fame, is a huge railroad buff. He started as a kid with the British hobby called "train spotting" and has spent a lot of time riding the rails all over the world.

PRRThomas11

I read that Frank Sinatra had someone build him a life-size replica of a lionel frieght house and that is what houses his lionel train layout.
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

Terry Toenges

JSMVM
I can't believe someone mentioned Zelionople.
I'm from St. Louis, but lived in NY. One time, my roommate (RIP) and I were going to St. Louis to visit and we had a flat at the Zelionople exit.
I'll never forget that. We used to make fun of that name all the time after that, just because it's a weird name.
Like "Careful we don't end up in Zelionople."  Or "You want me to ship you off to Zelionople." ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

jsmvmd

Dear Terry,

Small world, "ain't it?"  I think the French say, "N'est pa." 

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=192937

Hope your experience was not too traumatic!  Western PA can have some strange areas, as I think our beloved first President found out in the Whiskey Rebellion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion  (for the younger crowd).

This is off train topics, but if you ever get there again, the town has an absolutely wonderful pizza shop. It is square cut, with exquisitely crispy crust, and a melding of flavors that will leave one in a euphoric state and wanting to come back for more!  Sorry to wax poetic, but I have to get the wax out somehow!

Best Wishes,

Jack