News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ceiling overhead layout

Started by mf5117, April 14, 2013, 07:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf5117

We are finally moving into another home . My folks house to be truth full . Tore down my HO layout box bladed my Garden Railroad . All that hard work . But anyway . I want to do a ceiling layout . I have looked and looked on-line saw some acrylic fixtures , wire looking stuff some shelf looking stuff you might put books on it looks like . does anyone here have one and could you give me some ideas . I see them and know what to do ,but I can't make my mind up . Will be for my Large scale trains .

GG1onFordsDTandI

Using a laser level rather than water level helps, don't trust that your walls and ceiling are plumb, and square. I ran mine level vs parallel to ceiling. It is not noticeable to the eye, but the ceiling here has a 3/4" variances from level. Got enough room for G above the windows & doors? ;D On a previous shelf layout we followed the ceiling measuring down, the "waves" along the lengths of shelves was very apparent once finished, it did not look as good as a straight and level one. Measure level and mark the whole room with one straight line that meets up, then check it again for level before you start drilling. Screws to studs, but for attaching to hollow wall safely, I prefer the metal inserts with machine screw and four bending anchors(sized to drywall thickness) vs the plastic drywall anchors. The holes in wall are bigger, but two of those can(used to :-[ 3?) support my full weight. Don't forget, measure with extra room to wall on straights for pilot / cowcatcher overhang coming out of, and engine cab roof kick out going into, the turns. These overhangs start in, and continue up to inches along the straights too (check rolling stock for overhang, width too)

mf5117

Thanks for the info on the installation . I still might go with the acrylic hangers and bed . I'm not sure on a shelf If I do go that route I have made a couple of bridges I will use .