Using two EZ Command controllers

Started by DixieFlyer, November 19, 2012, 02:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DixieFlyer

Can I use two EZ Command DCC Controllers on the same track as long as the hot and neutral are in phase?
Instead of using the walk-around companion I want to allow an additional operator to bring his controller to the layout for multiple train operation and then be able to take his controller home to his own layout. That way one of us does not have to own the companion.

jward

i don't believe you can reset one of your ez commands as a slave unit the way you can with some other systems. somebody is going to have to get a walkaround companion.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

Quote from: DixieFlyer on November 19, 2012, 02:02:07 PM
Can I use two EZ Command DCC Controllers on the same track as long as the hot and neutral are in phase?
Instead of using the walk-around companion I want to allow an additional operator to bring his controller to the layout for multiple train operation and then be able to take his controller home to his own layout. That way one of us does not have to own the companion.

NO. For one thing, there are no hot and neutral. You need to do a lot of reading on how DCC operates before you burn up something.

Rich

DixieFlyer

Doneldon

Dix-

While you cannot use two EZCommands on the same track simultaneously (there's no way to fudge around this so
don't even try), you can add Walk Around Companions in order to have more than just one control box. The
Companion doesn't add any power to the system but you can use up to four (or maybe three but I think it's four) of
them so more than one person can operate your layout at a time. If you need more power, you can add a booster.
The Bachmann five-amp booster is very pricey but you should be able to use anybody's booster. Or, if you haven't
yet purchased an EZ Command, buy a different entry-level command station with greater power to begin with. That
will also give you real programming capacity which the EZCommand lacks. You can add additional controllers to any
system but you must stay with the same manufacturer. Many DCC components (e.g., decoders, boosters) are
interchangable but you must always use the same manufacturer's parts for your command station and throttles.

-- D

jward

some systems (digitrax zephyr for one) allow the use of dc power packs as additional controllers.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Stephen D. Richards

EZ Command also allows the use of an extra DC controller but only one.  It will give you an extra DCC point on your DCC controller and allow you to run a DC locomotive.

jward

that is not the same as the digitrax. dc locomotives can run on any controller under address 00, but the command station (zephyr) can assign any dcc locomotive to either of two dc controllers plugged into the system. these dcc controllers can run the locomotives just like a dc locomotive.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA