News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ho sy mikado 2-8-2

Started by ken black, November 20, 2012, 12:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ken black

I have a bachmann sy mikado 2-8-2 ddc ready I am looking for a sound decoder and speaker that will fit in the tender does MRC make one?

rogertra

Hi Ken.

Wish I could help.

I'm new to DCC and I'm looking for a suitable sound decoder for a light mountain.

It's all rather confusing.  :(

jonathan

MRC makes just one steam sound decoder I know of.  Have never tried it:

Search their site for part number 0001869.

Regards,

Jonathan

ken black

Thanks I have one works great What size speaker would you use?

ryeguyisme

From experience and those who've bought from mrc, I would avoid it, go with a tsunami sound decoder from soundtraxx

richg

28 mm is a good all around speaker for a HO tender. I and many others use this size speaker. The tender usually makes a pretty good baffle. You can spend time fine tuning with a better quality speaker and maybe a better baffle but the 28 mm has been good for me. A few rivet counters sometimes spend a lot of time arguing about the best speaker/baffle combo.

Rich

ken black

The 28mm is too big for the small 2-8-2 tender has anyone put a speaker in this tender

electrical whiz kid

The SY Mike is a favourite with 1:1 scale, also.  There is one in Essex Ct, they they "set up" to look like a New Haven J series Mike.  It is a pretty nice rig, even with thethe crew giving it the characteristic  arched windows.  They did a good job, but the pilot was the giveaway.
I have two, have "Americanized" one, and am going to do likewise to the second one, once my layout is in  operable status.  They run well.  I changed the pony to a brass one, and am now having to figure out how to get around the shorting which is now occurring.  I will get around it, but I do not want to use a plastic wheel, as it will tend to jump around.  It did, however, come out pretty nice, and its rather diminutive size puts it into the same "ambience" as the 2-6-0s and the other small engines I have. 

wjstix

28mm shouldn't be too big, it's about 1". Many recent HO steam engines have an opening in the tender floor for such a speaker. The tender shell acts as the enclosure.

ken black

I have 28mm speakers they are too big for the sy 2-8-2 tender and too thick the 2-8-2 tender is smaller than a 2-8-0 tender

electrical whiz kid

Ken;
Why not swap the SY tender (which looks way too Chinese to suit me) for a 2-8-0 tender?  They have a goodly amount of room for just about any speaker (within reason).  I have done this and besides the voluminous insides, they look pretty good, also. 
Recently, I bought a IHC 2-6-0 on Evilbay, and got an idea from one of Jack Parker's photos of his stuff; a water car behind the tender.  I am going to convert that tender to a water car, and I am rebuilding an old B'man tender body to the state of niceness, doghouse and all.  Not sure how convincing this all will look on a  "New-England-ly" road, but hey-it's only money-(yeah-MY money...)
Richie C.

electrical whiz kid

stick with a better decodeer if you want more variety of sounds.  Remember; you get what you pay for.
Richie C