Sound decoder etc., for a Spectrum Light Mountain

Started by rogertra, November 20, 2012, 02:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

I'm looking for a suitable sound decoder, drop in preferred, for the Light Mountain.

Any suggestions?

I've tried, without any luck, to find suggestions complete with instructions instructions, prefer YouTube,on line.

Any suggestions there?

jonathan

Could not find a you tube videos on installing sound in any Bachmann steamer.

There are a number of videos/instructions for installing sound in diesels.

I suggested, to the other poster, to look at the MRC steam sound decoder 0001869.  It appears to be as close to plug and play as you get.

I prefer the Tsunami, but it's not plug and play.  There is some soldering involved.  Still, not too difficult to put one in.  I did it to my 2-8-4.  Don't know if the light mountain has a speaker hole already drilled.  That may be something to check first.

Regards,

Jonathan

ken black

Hi Roger I have use the MRC decoder with a 28mm speaker for my heavy mountain works fine It all fits in the the long tender with no problem If you want to see it give me a call Iam not far away Ken

rogertra

Thanks for all the links everyone and nice to hear from Ken.  You can now delete your phone number.  :)

Here's a link that you all may find handy, a new 9 pin to 8 pin adaptor.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/product.php?productid=999003139&cat=174&page=1

wjstix

Yes, the light Mountain has an eight-pin plug. You just need the above 9-pin to 8-pin harness to plug it right in. If it's a relatively newer production run, it will have a speaker opening in the floor of the tender. Not much to it!!  ;D

wjstix

You can also remove the coal load in the tender and put a 1" round speaker in there. I did that with my 2-6-6-2.

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
WJSTIX has a good idea.  When I did my two 2-10-2s, I swapped tenders to Vanderbilts, put buckeye trucks under them, and installed the Tsunami decoders.  I then cut out what is now the coal bin, and installed my speakers there.  I also took some black foam (like in the Bachmann box), "sculpted" a coal pile, then glued on some coal-enough to make it look convincing-andit works pretty good.  Is an idea I will pursue again.
RIch C.

wjstix

On many Bachmann / Spectrum coal tenders, the coal load is a separate piece that you can just pop out. I drilled a small hole to run the wires into the main body of the tender where the decoder went.