Spectrum 2 6 0 Mogul stopped running Need help

Started by drmanny3, November 24, 2012, 04:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drmanny3

I was having problems in that there was no smoke coming out of the unit.  So I opened the front and pulled out the smoker and the circuit board to see if I could see any problems.  As it turns out a wire had broken free from the front switch that controls the smoke on or off.  I resoldered that connection and then pushed everything back in.  Now the smoker works but the drive wheels will not move.  It has a phoenix sound system and that works but only partially as the wheels are not moving.  So what can I do to figure out why the traction motor is not running.  I was going to try and take the unit apart but without any instructions I am not sure what to take apart.  Has anyone dealt with this problem before?  I tried to see if any wires were pulled loose when I pulled out the circuit board but seeing nothing that looks bad.  I so wanted this to work for Christmas
Thanks,
Manny

drmanny3

Well I watched a utube video and decided to give it another try to see if I could find anything not connected.  I was able to remove the motor but did not see any loose wires. I put that back together about 3 times before getting it correct.  I also took another look at the board in the tender.  I opened each of the clamped wires and tightened them down again.  I noticed that one wire had some of its insulation missing.  I put some tape over that.  I put it all together and now the train will run but only in reverse.  If I change it at the transformer or in front at the tender the train will stop.  It will only run backward.  The sound from the Phoenix sound card sounds a little broken up and not as smooth as before.  Not sure if that is because it is going backward.  So what did I do wrong.  The drive wheels each have a bushing that has a electrical connection to it.  I wonder if I reversed those on the wheels.  One of them had a broken solder joint but not sure it was already broken and probably due to my handling it so much.  So should I try and reverse those bushings?????  But would that account for the going only one way???
thanks,
Manny

drmanny3

Yes, you are correct that my train is the anniversary model.  I took a look at the wire diagram.  and it appears that I have the switch correct.  The diagram does not give the wire colors.  I went ahead and drew a representation of what I have.  On the circut board are four blocks with three connectors each.  Some of them have wires connected.  They are numbered.  I did not see any reference to these connections on the diagram.

Udo

Hello Manny,
do we really talk about an Annie ???
As per your description, there is a "board" inside the smoke box with numbered connectors... just mounted on a platform behind the smoke unit.
This is the case either in the Spectrum Mogul (2-6-0) or in the American (4-4-0).
This board has 4 Connectors (3-3-2-3) with numbers from 1 to 11.
AS far as I know, the Big Haulers like the annie don't have this....
Please check.
Udo

drmanny3

Yes, mine has this board, as you discribe.  Can you tell me anything about how it is wired.  I had assumed that my unit was the spectrum 4 6 0 but perhaps it is not.  I will take a look at the box it came in.  It has been awhile.  
Manny

Udo

Hello Manny,
the wiring diagramm is available on the Bachmann site (Mogul).
May be you should also find some hints at George Shreyer's site (GIRR.org).
Have a look.
By the way, it should be a 2-6-0, not a 4-6-0...

Udo

tac

Quote from: drmanny3 on November 26, 2012, 01:08:45 AM
Yes, mine has this board, as you discribe.  Can you tell me anything about how it is wired.  I had assumed that my unit was the spectrum 4 6 0 but perhaps it is not.  I will take a look at the box it came in.  It has been awhile. 
Manny

Sir - there is no Spectrum grade 4-6-0 - this description is reserved for the 1:20.3 models of very exacting detail, like the K27, Connie, the geared models and the Forney.  As noted, you must have a loco that we usually refer to as an 'Annie'.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

drmanny3

OK, I found the box and what I have is the Baldwin Narrow Gauge 2 6 0 Mogul #81498 Denver & Rio Grande Western.  I am sorry for the confusion.
Manny

drmanny3

I have searched and found one web site that had the information I needed but could not access the info.  The info for the 260 was not open to me.  I sent an email to the owner of the site and hope he will grant me permission.  He did allow me to access the 280 wiring diagram.  This looked so much like mine that I thought I would try it out.  It gave me some info that all the others lacked the color of wire associated with the connector.  So L8 is Pink, L7 is Orange, L6 is Purple, L5 is White, L4 is Green, L3 is Black, L2 is Grey, and L1 is yellow.  Those correspond to my wires coming out of the four blocks of connectors.  I guess the blocks are from the front 3, 2, 3, 3.  I had nothing in the first block #11,10,and 9  the other colors appeared in the order stated.  I was then able to follow the lines to the switches in the front of the train.  I then noticed that two additional wires were from the board next to the connectors.  I followed them a red and black wire and saw that they were on the right switch connectors.  The I noticed that two wires from the motor which I cannot see but come through the unit towards the front.  I had wired one of them to the smoke switch.  So I took that off and soldered it to the direction switch.  Now everything works ok.  I still don't get a lot of smoke but it goes forward and backward.  What a pain in the butt.  The pcb is not easy to push back in.  It probably needs to be someplace else where access is easier.  So thanks for all your suggestions and I am sorry I did not properly name my unit in the beginning.  There was probably a way I could have easily removed the boiler but could not see how it was screwed on.  That would have made getting to the wires much easier.  I could have wrapped them as well.
Manny