Hogwarts Express - need manual

Started by AVale, November 21, 2012, 12:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AVale

I have a Hogwarts Express train set. 2001.  I do not have any manual with it.  The set was used only once. The set is complete As originally packaged except for that the power pack knob seems to be missing something, like maybe a lever ?

Problem is when the train will not run. I checked all connections with an ammeter and all are working. Checked the outlet, the controller, the pins on the controller, the connection to the track and the loco itself, all are live - have power going to them.  Why then won't the loco run?  Could it have something to do with the power pack knob missing that lever part?  When I turn the knob it makes no noise at all, almost seems like it is not doing anything. 

Also, it seems like there is very little to none information about this particular train that Bachmann made! Why is that? 

Thx for help.

richg

Did you see up to maybe 12 VDC with the voltmeter, not the amp meter?
Ok, I did find a manual. It is in the Parts, Service and Information page. Go look.
Not specific to any of the sets as the DC operation is the same for all the sets.

Rich

Jhanecker2

The lack of information is due to the fact that the train set was run for a limited amount of years and was a simple DC train set .  Bachmann no longer has the rights to sell new Harry Potter merchandise , though it does sell parts  to refurbish their previously manufactured product. richg is correct in  his instructions. The trainset assembly manual is about as much info that came with the set , though there was a parts sheet on the loco itself.While not the greatest set ever built , it was the first electric train I received as a Christmas present from my sister and got me into the hobby .  I  actually  own three sets now , got two of them used . I modified the couplers on the tenders rear and use one to pull  "Thomas"  cars , and the other to pull  Knuckle coupler cars. Good Luck in solving your problem .  J2

81F

Hello AVale

Comparing pictures of the spare parts for the Harry Potter loco on this website with my own "GWR Modified Hall" produced by bachman UK, they appear to be the same model only mine is green and yours is red. - This is hardly supprising since the loco used in the films is an ex-GWR Hall.

Consequently, if you need a service sheet for the Locomotive, I hope this link from the Bachmann uk site will help:

http://www.bachmann.co.uk/pdfs/31-776.pdf

If you doubt your power supply you could always try a 9 volt battery just to make sure the wheels turn the sort I use is a PP3 (not sure what you call them in the states but here is a link to Wikipedia showing what I use:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-volt_battery

Hope this helps

Regards Steve.
Modelling the Great Western Railway in the Welsh Borders, and the Glyn Valley Tramway with a few bits from elsewhere!

Jhanecker2

To  81F :  Good Morning  !   We refer to that particular battery  as a Nine Volt . It is a distinctive shape and has been used ever since there have been small transistor radios . Question :  Do your british  trains used the same type of coupling  type  as the "Potter"  engines or do they use the type of couplings that are used in the "Thomas" type trains ?   J2.

81F

To Jhanecker2, Regarding couplings in the UK.

Unfortunately this isn't easy for me to answer as I have not seen an actual Bachmann Potter. The Franchise for the Harry Potter train set being held By Hornby who dress up one of their own similar loco as Hogwards Castle. However, we are in a bit of a transition in the UK as far as couplings are concerned so it is probably easier for me to add links to the couplings used.

In the UK the predominant scale is 00 rather than HO but 00 is a compromise scale as it is 4mm/1 foot (rather than HO's 3.5mm/1 foot)running but running on the same track gauge as HO (I will not go into the whys and wherefores here but just mention this difference to avoid any confusion later).

Since late 1960's and early 1970s ready to run models produced for the UK market use some form of Tension Lock (I think you may call these Hook and Bar) Couplings. Initially these were wider versions of that used on the Bachmann Thomas the Tank, see http://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/images/hornby_spares/x8025.jpg for an illustration.

In the mid 1970's a company called Palitoy entered the model railway market using the brand "Mainline". I understand these models were actually made by a company called Kader (who now make the Bachman UK range) and it was they who introduced an intermediate width tension lock coupling, see http://www.jacksonsmodels.co.uk/images/_lib/bachmann-36009-couplings-x10-oo-gauge-9006306-0-1342369267000.jpg (which is very similar to the Bachmann Thomas couplings)

However, in recent years new narrow tension lock has been introduced which is slowly becoming standard, see http://images.intelligentretail.co.uk/JACKSONSMODELS/9006295.png which is now standard on all Bachmann UK models and a number of other manufacturers (is this what is used on the Potter locomotive?). However one manufacturer still has a large proportion of its range using the original wide coupling!

I personally have stuck with the wide and intermediate couplings as they work well together and some of my earlier stock has the wide coupling bar moulded on making it difficult to change, whereas the narrow types are generally easy to swap.

Sorry about the rather long drawn out answer to what seemed like a nice straight forward question!

Best wishes

Steve
Modelling the Great Western Railway in the Welsh Borders, and the Glyn Valley Tramway with a few bits from elsewhere!

Jhanecker2

To  81F :   The reason I asked is that I modified  two of the three Potter Locos & tender to  couple to Thomas passenger cars ,  and the other  tender to  Pull  modifed  Maerklin Potter cars that had NEM  receptacles for couplers that I  added Bachmann  Knuckle Couplers to . The knuckle coupers allow me to haul the car with any type of North American  locos. The original Potter couplers  are smaller than the medium couplers. The couplers are mounted to the trucks so that replacing them means replacng the entire truck.

81F

As far as I know all Bachmann coaches have the couplings fitted to the trucks (or bogies as we would call them). Some are the new narrow type which are moulded on while others are screwed. The same applies to the locomotives' pony trucks although nem pockets are now being introduced. However, Bachmann were not alone in this in that other manufacturers do the same.

I guess that the reason why things are different is that the Bachmann Potter sets might be based on OO models rather than HO ones and since OO is a different scale (but running on the wrong gaude track) manufacturers have not felt the need to be compatible with HO models until now.