Williams Horn won't turn off

Started by caboose8492, November 17, 2012, 09:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caboose8492

Hi all,
I'm having an issue with an fp45 I just bought.

The engine is 10 or so years old but looks to have barely been run. When I put it on the track it runs fine with one problem the horn goes off constantly while in forward or reverse. Is there any fix to this? I am using a z-750 transformer and it operates at 80 watts AC the locomotive is 3rd rail as well.

Joe Satnik

Dear caboose8492,

Your Z-750 transformer is, according to MTH, an "electronic" type (vs. a "standard" type). 

There have been reports of the Williams/WBB TBII sound boards having problems with (being confused by) the electronic type transformers. 

Try using one of the standard types and see if that cures the problem:

http://www.mth-railking.com/service/transformers.asp

If it does not, we'll troubleshoot further. 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

DominicMazoch

I use a z-750 with the first remote wands.  My W/WBB items work.  It could be an issue with the button on the 750 controller box.

phillyreading

Try reversing the wires to the track, just for fun, it might work. Should not need to do that with a Z-750, but a transformer part could be going out.

Something that happened to my steam engine with T.B. 2 horn, was the track needed cleaning. It would sound off at random, after cleaning the track and tender wheels it worked correctly.

I have found that certain brands of electronics are very sensitive to dirt.

Lee F.

Matt

I would definitely clean the rollers, wheels and track first. I have occassionally encountered this same thing, especially when conditions were dirty. A good cleaning all around solved it.

matt