News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question on Sound locomotive

Started by Buildy, November 24, 2012, 11:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buildy

Is is possible to run a Bachmann Sound equipped engine on a straight DCC layout? I realize the sound would not work. i plan to convert to DCC in the future.

richg

Quote from: Buildy on November 24, 2012, 11:12:37 AM
Is is possible to run a Bachmann Sound equipped engine on a straight DCC layout? I realize the sound would not work. i plan to convert to DCC in the future.

I believe you mean a DC layout.
Some of the sounds will work. Just about any loco with on board sound can run on DC also. Take a few minutes more to read ALL the specs for the loco in the advertisement.
The manuals for the Bachmann DCC locos are right here in the Bachmann site. Many fail to check out the complete Bachmann site.
Just make sure the loco is from a LHS. If from a private source, some disable the DC function. Locos with dual mode decoders, sometimes take of at full speed when run on a DCC layout.

Rich

Rich

Buildy

Thanks,

Yes I meant to say on a straight DC layout. Does that mean some of the sounds will work on a DC layout?

richg

Quote from: Buildy on November 24, 2012, 11:55:18 AM
Thanks,

Yes I meant to say on a straight DC layout.

The locos will run on a curved DC layout also. lol

Rich

Doneldon

Buildy-

Sounds on a DC layout are pretty much what's programmed in, at least as far as chuffing, hisses, lights, dynamo, etc.
However, you will likely have some sound control at least horn/whistle and bell. This isn't a hard-and-fast rule though;
different manufacturers have different selections of limited sound control when operating on a DC layout. Do note that
most manufacturers have a sound only controller which gives wider control over sound and some light functions when
operating on DC. These can cost $30 - 50, with discounts often available on line. These add-on controllers are unique
to each manufacturer so you can't use brand A's controller on brand B's sound system. I'm not quite 100% sure on
that last statement; someone here will correct me if I'm wrong.
                                                                                                 -- D

Buildy

Thanks,

This one will be the Bachmann 4-4-0 MA & PA # 6  with Sound. Any sound I get while running on DC will be a treat for me,as this will be my first sound equipped Locomotive. It is new, from an online hobby shop.