News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO 2-6-0 questions (again?)

Started by MarkInLA, November 20, 2012, 08:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkInLA

Hi, I may or may not have enquired about this earlier, but I can't find it...I have a mogul which was a replacement for another..This one is really OK but, only in reverse she judders a bit when crawling until she is moving say, 10-15 scale MPH..Forward is completely fine..I've carefully oiled every moving part ..One crosshead was sort of bent outward from its bottom rendering it very slightly diagonal..I was able to correct this 94% with my finger pushing it toward frame and a little crimping with a hemostat..Nothing seems to be binding. Is this just the nature of this particular issue..perhaps a motor behavior ? Or, what else might this be ? I've even tried some motor tweaking with my NCE throttle ( kick rate/kick depth/other), but nothing so far remedies this.

blwfish

Which one do you have? I discovered that there were two different 2-6-0's.

MarkInLA

I don't know which mine is ..wasn't aware of that ! It's a replacement from about 4-5 months back..so I assume it's the latest version..Is it known which one is better ? As I say, it runs nice forward but judders (miniscule jerking) in reverse, more so when running alone than with cars...

jward

the cheaper version of the 2-6-0 is basicly the 0-6-0 with a pony truck added. the tender has a huge post that hooks into the locomotive, and it has a non operating coupler on the front.

the newer alco 2-6-0 is a much more detailed model with a working front coupler.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

MarkInLA

Yes, I have the working front coupler ( McHenry I think )..As I am thinking of a second one I had a train store clerk run one from the display case and it seemed flawless...I guess I should ( and still could !) have sent her back to Bachmann..It is a replacement for another which had a very noticable drive train problem..This one is quite acceptable but, as I say, she judders a tad when crawling. I even ran her top speed a bit yesterday and it seemed to judder/hesitate...