new to locomotive/cars airbrush weathering

Started by baldwinmikado, November 23, 2012, 08:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldwinmikado

I have been using brushes to weather my railroad fleet, and after a few years you get tired by the length in time and patience. I have been thinking about a small 1/6 hp piston air compressor to go with my g22 airbrush. I've read reviews and some say they heat up and suck from piston friction, and some say they work like a charm. Has anybody expierenced problems with piston compressors from overheating or is this just some hooplah. i am in need of knowing. thanks      baldwinmikado

Doneldon

baldmike-

You can have a heat problem with those little compressors because they must run nearly continuously to keep the
pressure up. A larger compressor, even 1/4 horse, will do better. Better yet is to run your compressor into a small
tank which will serve as a sort of shock absorber against the pulsing of a compressor. Or, get a five-gallon air tank
which you fill at a gas station and you won't have any pulsing at all, or the expense of a compressor.

-- D

NarrowMinded

Hi.

I have had more problems with condensation in the lines using tankless compressores, with tanks the water drops to the bottom of the tank.

Places like homedepot or even pepboys carry cheap compressors with a 1 gallon tank and built in regulator that work great. and you can use it to fill up your tires as well.

What ever you decide to use make sure you buy a water trap and filter to install between the unit and the airbrush.

NM-Jeff

P.S. airbush tip, when ever possible use water based flat paint it goes on thin and dries fast if you need a gloss finish do your final coat in clear to make the colors pop and shine.

CNE Runner

I use a relatively cheap compressor from Harbor Freight Tools. This particular compressor has an adjustable regulator with two air pressure gauges that are accurate enough for airbrush work. An added moisture trap is a good idea; although I have not had a reason (yet) to use one.

I searched the Harbor Freight Tools website and found my compressor and a pancake variety. My compressor is a horizontal unit [#97080] that is 1/3 h.p. and 3-gallon capacity. It is equipped with an adjustable regulator. This compressor is on sale for $59.99 and is well worth the price. If space is a concern, HFT has a pancake compressor [#95275] that is also 1/3 h.p. and 3-gallon capacity (with an adjustable regulator) @ $39.99 on sale. Both of these compressors have more than adequate air storage.

My technique is to let the compressor run until it reaches its shutoff pressure (100#). I then unplug the unit and bring it to my painting location (either outside or at a ventilated paint booth...remember the fumes won't do your lungs any good). With 100# of pressure - in a decently sized tank - you can airbrush all evening.

Last tip: Always keep you airbrush surgically clean. Completely disassemble the unit and thoroughly clean it with airbrush cleaner.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Doneldon

baldmike-

Follow CNE's admonishion about cleaning your equipment
scrupulously. He is right on the button.
                                                           -- D

NarrowMinded

I will Second the idea of keeping you airbrush super clean.

I will also add that you should become very familiar with taking it apart and putting it back to gether single action brushes are easier the double action brushes.

Before you ask double action brushes allow air flow and paint flow, single action only control air flow.

I recommend the double action airbrushes, I use a badger airbrush with the cup on the side, I find that there is much less wasted paint.

http://www.airbrushtutor.com/airbrushes.php

NM-Jeff

Jhanecker2

Some airbrushes can also be powered by  canned air  cylinders  if you are going to do relatively smaller jobs or touch up.  I use a 1/2 HP  tankless diaphragm compressor and also have a  12volt piston pump compress  that runs off a automotive battery .

Woody Elmore

Canned cylinders freeze up. They are good for very small jobs but I wouldn't recommend one for a big job.

Doneldon

The cans are also quite pricey over time. It's better all around to use a compressor and tank.

-- D

NarrowMinded

Just another note;

If you are into diving or paintball you can you compressed air tanks

NM-Jeff