News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 44 ton Switcher with Decoder

Started by rustyrooster, November 25, 2012, 03:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustyrooster

I would appreciate some assistance with setting the best values for the decoder for the 44 ton switcher.
It is very slow to start needing 10 or 11 speed steps (28 step range) before moving at a reasonable pace.
Low speed steps only result in a hum from the locomotive.
Is there a listing of the CVs for the 44 ton Switcher decoder?
I need the default values and the ranges for each CV.
There is discrepency between other sites as to the defaults and the ranges for CVs for this two function decoder.

richg

The document for the on board decoder is right in the Parts page. EZ Command. Take some time to look though the total Bachmann site. Some fail to do that. Reset the decoder to factory specs and start fine tuning. Keep track of each CV.

Rich

rustyrooster

The decoder is listed under EZ Command as an accessory but has no attachments or redirects for a document or any real detail about the decoder.
There are details re the SoundTraxx sound decoders but nothing really about the 2 function decoder.
What is the rest CV and its value?
A search of the Bachmann parts site indicates no listing for decoders so you can;t even buy a replacement.
A very frustrating site.

Tom M.

Typically, CV 2 controls the starting voltage.  You may want to set this to say 20 to start, and then make adjustments up or down from there.  You want to get the starting voltage adjusted to the point where it begins to move at throttle position 1.

Good luck,

Tom

Stephen D. Richards

If by chance you will need a new decoder; go to Parts Catalog, HO parts, 44 Ton Switcher, page two.  You can get the PCB alone or with the decoder.  Prices are 30.00 and 50..  dollars respectively.  Hope the helps.  Stephen

rustyrooster

To Tom M,

I have the EZ Command decoder sheet from Bachmann that says CV2 has a range from 0 to 31 (default 10) and another decoder sheet from Bachmann for a two function decoder 36-552 that says CV2 has a range from 1 to 63 with default of 10.
I have set the CV2 value to 20, 30, 50 and still get the situation where the locomotive does not begin to accelerate until Speed step 10 or 11 (of 28) is reached.
Hence the request for better information on the Bachmann decoder that is wired in.

Len

You may want to take a look at CV3, Acceleration Momentum. If it's set too high the loco will just sit there for a while before it starts to move.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rustyrooster

I have set 1cv3 and CV4 to 0 to minimise their effect. But still no change to Speed step start point.
Maybe the decoder is faulty in accepting changes to CV2.
I have used my Powercab on the programming track to reprogram the CVs and also tried Decoder Pro but these seem to have no effect on the performance.