News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power Supply Compatability

Started by n2redbull, November 25, 2012, 07:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n2redbull

I was recently given an OO gauge Hornby London 2012 train pack (no track or transformer). The made for UK loco is DCC ready, and designed to be operated from a variable 12 volt DC power supply. I use a several year old Bachmann 46605A (similar to today's 44212) to power my small HO layout. Will the Hornby loco operate without harm from this power supply?

Thanks in advance.....

RAM

Well if the input is 112-115 volt AC and output is 12-16 volt DC, you should be ok.

jward

the op stated he doesn't have a power supply, so the input voltage shouldn't matter. he also stated that the train is designed for a variable 12v operating voltage. thus, a standard power supply for whatever country he lives in should work, as long as the output is variable 12v dc.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

poliss

Yes, it will be fine. The trains use the same 12v DC as US models. It's only the British mains power wallwarts (transformers) that have a different voltage requirement (230v 50hZ). As you will be using the Bachmann 46605A you will not have any problems.

n2redbull

Thank all of you so much. Kinda what I thought, I fried a Minitrix with a Lionel transformer many years ago, didn't want to repeat the same mistake! Thanks again!

jward

lionel trains run on ac, minitrix and all other n scale trains on dc. that's why you fried the motor. any train which runs on 3 rail track is ac.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA