News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

loose turnouts

Started by ejseider, November 25, 2012, 09:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejseider

I've got all Backman EZ track on my layout.  The rivets that hold the moveable rails to the switch mechanism are coming loose on all of my turnouts.  What's the recommended way to fix this, either to prevent it from happening, or to repair it when it does happen?

Also. I looked at some Kato turnouts on a plastic road bed, similar to EZ Track in the hobby shop over the weekend.  These looked to be much better made then the Bachman turnouts that I have (also more expensive).  I asked if they are compatible with EZ Track, but no one in the store knew.  Any opinions on these?  Can they be used with EZ Track?

NarrowMinded

The rivets you are talking about are usually a little loose by design to allow the track to move freely.

Is there an issue with the function of them?

Remember the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

If there is an issue with the function let us know.

I've never had an issue with these but others may have.  and would have a fix if it is necessary.

NM-Jeff

Len

Short answer: Yes, the Kato HO turnouts will work with EZ-Track, but...

You'll have to remove loop and pin from the end of the EZ-Track, and the rail joiner/locking clips from the Kato turnouts and replace them with regular rail joiners. I prefer the Peco cd100 joiners as they seem to hold tighter than other brands. Depending on your benchwork, you may have to shim one side or the other with a bit of card stock.

You'll also have a slight discontinuity in the roadbed color, Kato roadbed is darker than EZ-Track. You can use a dark gray wash to make the transition look more natural.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Len

That's why I mentioned shims. You could use cd83/cd100 transition joiners, but I prefer to shim and use the Peco cd100 joiners. They're tight enough to work with cd83 rail.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ejseider

Yes, they are causing the moveable rails to come loose and consequent de-railments.  I used a center punch to try to tighten them, but with limited success.  I've already junked one turnout because the rivet completely wore thru and I can't figure out how to re-attach the rail.

Doneldon

ej-

I'm not so sure that a center punch would tighten those rivets. A
flat tool struck lightly with a hammer should do the trick.
                                                                                 -- D

phillyreading

Quote from: Doneldon on November 26, 2012, 03:32:41 PM
ej-

I'm not so sure that a center punch would tighten those rivets. A
flat tool struck lightly with a hammer should do the trick.
                                                                                  -- D

Maybe a small drift-pin or 3/8 drive socket set extension to tighten the head when smacked with a hammer.
A center punch may not give the desired results or may break the rivot, as a center punch has a point on it.

Lee F.