News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 needs service

Started by SteveWard3928, November 28, 2012, 10:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveWard3928

OK, I have a Big Hauler Bachmann 4-6-0.  My front truck assembly (some call them pilot wheels) needs re-wired.  I tried soldering new wires to the truck assembly and quite frankly I am terrible at soldering. 
My question:  If I send this thing to Bachmann will they re-solder the wires from the assembly to the motor?  I think the cost would be $30.00 unless I am reading their policy wrong.
S&S

Gonna get blamed for it...you might as well do it!!

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Steve,

Correct You would pay the cost of sending it in and enclose payment of $30 along with an explanation of the problem.  Bachmann would then repair or replace your unit at their discretion and ship the unit back to you at their expense.

If your 4-6-0 is less that a year old and you provide proof of purchase, you would not need to send the $30 just pay the cost of shipping to Bachmann.

This is one of the heaviest periods for warranty service, generally November, December, & January.  It may take longer than usual to get your Loco back.

My experience with Bachmann Repair Service has been excellent! 

I am sure Bachamnn Reps will agree with this response.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

SteveWard3928

Thanks Bill, that is what I thought.  Also considering buying the chassis and using that pre-wired truck assembly.  The Chassis I believe is also $30.  Unsure of what my model number is.  Where would I find my model number on the locomotive at?
S&S

Gonna get blamed for it...you might as well do it!!

Loco Bill Canelos

Steve,

The model number is the Bachmann number found on the end of the box or set your loco came in.  They do not always have the same exact chassis you need for older production units, but you never know.  Looking at the link below you will see that this specific chassis is the same for locomotives from three different sets.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_148&products_id=4095

In this case the chassis is a match for the locomotives in sets 90025, 90032 and 90037.

Check the end of your box and then search through all the chassis listing to see if one is a match for your unit.

$30 is a super cheap price for a brand new chassis and your old chassis can be a source for parts if you need any in the future.  If you send the loco in and Bachmann replaces it you will not get the old unit back. 

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Barry BBT

I think the charge for the chassis is very right, but undermines the offer I wish to make to you.

I make a pilot truck frame and arm which doesn't tend to derail.  The frame is made from aluminum angle and a lexan bridge to insulate the two sides.  It flexes to allow the wheels to follow the contours of the track.

Bachmann has introduced the arm on their Gen 6 chassis, which works very well, need to make the frame flex.

The problem, may be that the price is $25.00, which doesn't include a full chassis, just a pilot kit (and it uses your pilot wheels).

If I can help, let me know.

Barry
There are no dumb questions.

Dave

Hi Barry,
         Tried to send you an email but it came back as undeliverable.

Dave Cole
               New Zealand

Barry BBT

Dave,

Not sure what address you have, I did change about a year ago.

Please use barrysbigtrains@live.com

Barry

Dave

Thanks Barry,
             Got your right address, your Profile still has the old address on it.

Dave

Barry BBT

Thanks, Dave,

You are right, so I have changed the profile, thank you.

Barry