News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Minimum radius Bachmann streetcars

Started by PaPawCarl, November 30, 2012, 01:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaPawCarl

What is the minimum radius for operating Bachmann streetcars: The Peter Witts, the PCCs, the Brills?

Len

I've operated the HO 4-wheel Brills on 9in radius curves built into "city streets". Don't know about the others, as I've never owned any.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

PaPawCarl

Thank you, Len. 9" looks like a safe city radius for most brands and styles. I know the old Bowser PCCs were rated at 9".  I am asking because there is city street curve system with pavement inserts that looks promising, but the radius is rated at 6-6 3/4". 9" is not that far off/out of reality. If anyone has better info on the Bachmann PCCs and Peter Witts, it would still be appreciated. Carl

richg

You could search You Tube for videos. Good chance someone has done what you would like to do.

Rich

PaPawCarl

Interesting suggestion, Rich. My experience with You Tube has not involved specific information such as this. It is, indeed, a remarkable resource for having the visual experience, so I appreciate the suggestion. However, while there are many model railroad and streetcar oriented videos, I found none which focused on this problem, for it is not a matter of showing me how to do something or how to modify something in order to get a model to function differently.

Model Railroader or RMC did some articles a few years ago which showed how to modify the new Bowser PCC frames to operate on narrow radius city streets. That may be the type of thing I need to do. But, for now, I am looking for the starting point.  It is a simple specification: What is the minimum radius on which Bachmann PCC, Peter Witt, and Brill HO streetcars will operate?

Len

According to the catalog, the minimum recommended radius for the PCC and Brill trolleys is 15in. I don't know if the PCC will go tighter, but I have run the Brill on 9in radius curves.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

PaPawCarl

Thanks, Len. That catalog designation is a piece I missed. Appreciate your research. Looks like I have some re-thinking to do about purchases.  Have a happy holiday!