News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G scale wheel pickups

Started by jpl2817, November 20, 2012, 08:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpl2817

I have the Davenport, has 4 wheels with 4 pickups that touch the wheels.  I have noticed that these don't all touch the wheels at all times. The 4 pickups each have a roller that has spring tension behind it to keep contact with the corresponding wheel.  They don't. Only 2 of them do and the other 2 sometimes. 

My question is do these pickups (all 4 of them) need to contact the wheels at all times?

Maybe this is the reason I am having problems with the loco needing a push.

I have not bypassed the PCB, as for testing purposes yet.  I will need to make a jumper to fit the terminals
properly. 

I have inspected all wiring and just not sure about the pickups. I would think they all 4 need to contact the wheels at all times.

NarrowMinded

Have you checked to see if the wheels have spread apart? measure between the wheels on the axle that touches the contacts and the one that doesn't.

I have a G/M 0-4-0 but I have not checked to see if they are just a press fit on the axles.

I have a old 0-4-0 porter and the wheels  would spread apart and  I have to push them back together after extended running.

again I'm not sure if this is an issue but it's worth a check.

NM-Jeff

jpl2817

No the wheels have not spread apart.  The contacts just don't seem to be touching the wheels properly, like the springs are weak.  You would have to see this davenport to understand what I am talking about.

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

NarrowMinded

Hi,

In the past there was an issue with some wheel pickups that occured if the loco was shorted across the tracks.

what would happen is the springs would heat up when shorted and loose the "temper" making them weak.

it sounds like you may need to replace the pickups.

NM-Jeff

jpl2817

hello, thanks,  that is what I think needs replacing. I feel that all 4 pickups should be touching, but they are not.

Perhaps when I got the set, because the original controller was bad, maybe that caused the short.