News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Non DCC GP50 DCC conversion

Started by Catt, December 01, 2012, 05:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catt

Hi guys,

I have this older Bachmann GP50 which is a non DCC unit.I would like to know if there is a easy way to convert it it to DCC.

jward

i've done a decoder install on a b23-7 which is similar in layout to the gp40/gp50. this is not a drop in install. the decoder has to be hard wired, and to make the loco dcc ready you have to completely remove the pc board which came with the loco. you'll also have to hard wire the headlights to the decoder. it can be done, it's not a difficult install, but you have to know what you're doing.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Catt

Thanks Jeffery,

I thought it my be something like that.Is the motor isolated from the frame or do I have that task to look forward to.

While I'm thinking about it (I had forgotton earlier) is the SD45 the same way?( have not been under the hood of either unit yet. :o

jward

if i recall my b23-7, there is a motor strap contact which picks up power off the frame. the other motor pickup is connected to the pc board. you'll have to solder a wire to the motor which can be done by carefully removing the metal caps which hold the motor springs and brushes in place, then soldering your wire to the cap then putting it back in place. you'll want to be extra careful that the brush springs don't pop out when you are doing this. you'll also want to put electrical tape on the frame so the new motor wires don't accidentally contact the frame and fry your decoder.

with the sd45, there seem to be two versions. the newer ones have an nmra 8 pin socket so a decoder easily plugs in. tholder ones are similar to the h16-44 in construction. here is a link to an excellent tutorial on installing a decoder in an h16-44:

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html

btw, this tutorial is from jim banner who used to be a fixture here. ihe hasn't posted in a while. does anybody know what is going on with jim? his presence here is missed.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA